Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four (Rose's POV)

It was nice to not have to say goodbye to my mate when school ended. I smiled as I led Skye over to my worn black Jeep. 

I really should have cleaned it out before offering to drive Skye anywhere. I noted some loose change in the centre console, Annie's spare lipstick melting on the dashboard, Nate's smelly gym shoes shoved in the back, Jacob's lunchbox and Helen's sketchbook thrown haphazardly on the front seat.

"Fucking Mickey – I'm going to kill him for smoking in my car again", I muttered as I opened the passenger door for Skye and saw the cigarette put out in the otherwise clean ashtray.

Skye looked at me and noted, "You seem to know a lot of people at Westwood – which is strange considering that up until a few days ago you were home-schooled".

My mind went blank as I tried to come up with an excuse, "Yeah – well Mickey lives nearby to us, so he is always coming over to hang out. And Helen is my cousin, so I sometimes give her a ride home".

She smiled softly, innocently taking me for my word, "Also – you're a social butterfly and have been living in this small town your whole life..."

I felt a pang of guilt that I couldn't just tell her the truth, but forced myself to grin casually back, "You've got me all figured out, don't you Skye?".

We chatted idly as I drove us into town, heading towards the café that wasn't owned by Deb Atkinson, I've had enough of werewolves listening in on my conversations today.

Skye grinned impishly as I opened the door for her, and I tried not to let my nerves show. The bored cashier barely glanced up before asking, "What can I get you?".

Skye stood a little behind me, her arm brushing mine, "I'll just get whatever you are having, Rose".

I ordered two lattes with cream and no sugar, ignoring my mate as she tried to reach into her purse and pay for her half.

"This wouldn't be much of a date if I let you pay", I told her; it seemed less complicated to be upfront with Skye, so she wasn't left wondering if we were friends or moving towards something more. I just hope she wants this to be a date...

Maybe it was a werewolf thing, but when we liked someone – mate or not – we didn't pussy-foot around the subject like humans seemed to.

I smiled to hear her heart stutter at the word 'date' and led her over to a quiet corner. 

I noticed Skye take in her surroundings – the casual people and the hipster decorations and inspirational quotes on the walls – with a guarded expression. She seems to do that a lot; I wish I knew what always had her so on edge, that she has to continually be aware of any dangers that could be lurking. Maybe I'm just making assumptions; she could just be admiring the décor...

I cleared my throat, and her unique blue eyes jumped to me, "So, let's be clear – this is a date, and I'm not doing this as a joke, but because I want to get to know you better". Father sometimes remarked that I was a bull in a china store; charging in with no tact or subtlety. I preferred to think that I was straight-forward and honest.

Skye smiled, that beautiful blush darkening, "What could you possibly want to know about me?" She sounded baffled as if she really couldn't see what I found so interesting about her.

Light topics, no serious questions, I coached myself as I leaned closer, "What's your favourite colour?"

She leaned back to laugh, "So original, Rose". I chuckled along with her, waiting for her reply. "Mine is green", I offered with what I hoped was a disarming smile.