Chapter 13: The Date

Harry~

"I'm going to going to go get some popcorn." I stood up from my seat. "Liam come with me." I yanked Liam out of the theater with me and we made our way into the safety of the hallway.

It had been eight minutes since Alice, Liam, and I arrived to the movie theater, and I already felt very awkward. All I wanted was to go back to our dormitory. I sat in the middle of Liam and Alice, and it had been completely silent the whole time. I had asked Alice to come on a date with me on Tuesday, and she reluctantly agreed. I was pleasantly surprised.

"You can't just leave her in there alone, Harry, this is like a date!" Liam hissed.

"I panicked! You can just feel the awkward!" I argued.

"You still have to give this a try. For my sanity, please. You're always talking about her, and you need to figure out exactly how you feel. Now get back in there, and maybe casually put your arm around her seat. See how it goes from there." Liam practically pushed me back inside the dark theater as the final ads rolled across the screen.

"Sorry about that." I quietly apologized as we say back down.

"Don't worry about it." Alice assured me.

"So, um, did we miss anything?" I stuttered, attempting to make conversation.

"No. Now be quiet, Harold. The films starting." Alice kept her eyes glued to the screen.

"Sorry." I apologized.

"Shhh!"

Liam nudged my arm, and nodded towards Alice. Grimacing, I stretched my arms back behind my head, and nonchalantly scratched the nape of my neck. I then gently placed my arm on the back of Alice's seat. She noticed its presence almost immediately, but didn't comment. God, this felt so wrong.

~~~

"You know Liam, this whole date thing was a bad idea... I don't think I really like her. It was all in my head." I admitted on the walk back to our dorm. We had walked Alice home after the movie ended, and my feelings toward her were now nearly crystal clear.

"Too bad." He shrugged.

"It just felt too weird to be out with her like that." I continued.

"Well, at least now you know." Liam agreed.

Alice~

"You know Emma, this whole date thing was a bad idea... I don't think I really like him. It was all in my head." I laid back on my bed and told my roommate everything.

"I suppose you created a version of him in your story that just isn't reality, and it's good you realized it." Emma offered.

"You're right. My character wasn't at all like him with the exception of a few simple, common, physical traits." I observed.

"There you go." Emma nodded in approval. "Now maybe you can be friends."