Chapter 6: The Assignment

Alice~

A few days ago we turned in our Humor assignment for Creative Writing. I wasn't thrilled with my entry. I certainly tried, but I felt so out of my element, and I'm sure the small humor pieces appeared to be forced. Professor Gould gave the papers back with her comments and I was too nervous to look at it. So, I placed it face down in my folder.

"For the most part, I thought your humor pieces were excellent, so I'm going to expect more out of our next assignment." Gould explained. "I want this story to be longer, and I expect to see more evidence of multiple drafts and editing. This time, the topic will be a bit broader. I want you to write in one of my favorite genres, Love. Make me fall in love with your love stories. You'll have three weeks to complete your submission, and yes, I want the story to be finished this time. You have the rest of class to begin!"

Love. Love is a topic I'm much more familiar with. Everyone loves a good love story, and I already had a few ideas in mind.

"Alice?" Professor Gould asked me as soon as the class disbanded. "May I speak with you for a moment?"

I stood up and approached her desk.

"I have some concerns after reading your Humor entry." She said quietly.

"You didn't like it?" I knew she wouldn't like it. I'm so horrific with humor.

"No, no, it was excellent, and your grade shows that. But something seemed slightly off. I've read some of your other work before, and the two were different. Your latest assignment didn't flow as nicely, and it didn't have nearly as much polish as your previous work. It was significantly less excellent."

I nodded furiously, taking in any helpful hints I could get.

"You're one of, if not the top, author at this school, I suppose I just expected more from you. This time, I hope to see great improvement."

"Absolutely, you will." I assured her and backed away towards my desk again. Now I instantly felt about one hundred times more pressure for this assignment to be great. It had to be. I would make it perfect, and I didn't care what I had to do.

Harry~

The boys and I had done quite well on our last song assignment. Granted, we had most of the lyrics written before we even came to school.

"Today, we are going to start a new song, a love song." Professor Williamson, who taught lyrics, explained. "As I'm sure you know, slow, sappy, love songs usually do quite well, and I think this next song assignment will be good practice for you all."

Liam immediately began scribbling notes down on his notepad.

"Later this week, each group or artist even have the chance to work with guest teachers, people who've written more hits than you can imagine. And once the songs are finished, my guest teachers will select the best song, and you will get to professionally record it." Williamson added excitedly.

I looked over at my bandmates and each had an eager look on their faces. We had never gotten to professionally record anything, and this chance was beyond exciting. We had to make our song perfect, no matter what.