||Chapter Nineteen||

||Avery's POV||

"So, you really think this is gonna work?" I asked Daryl as I shoved my belongings in my bag. He watched me from the exit and leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed. He nodded his head and pursed his lips. A part of me told me that he was lying, but I didn't have any option to stay or go.

"It's our only choice that keeps everyone safe," Daryl sighed sticking his hands in his pockets. I shook my head slightly. I didn't want to leave. These people needed me now more than ever and now they're forcing me to go. To keep me safe.

I have forgiven Daryl. It was the only way to move on and make it out of this trip alive. I'm not saying what he did was okay, but I did like Andrea said.

"I know, but we have to. As long as the Governor knows you aren't here, he won't touch this place. We're just gonna say you ran away in the night," he sighed. I shut my eyes tight and pinched the bridge of my nose.

"And you expect us to kill him while he's off guard with his army right behind him?" I scoffed while clipping a canteen of water onto my bag. Daryl glared at me,"They won't have anything to do with you when he's dead. They won't have anyone to look to."

He was right. All of his citizens are just followers. People like Martinez could be reluctant leaders, but the Miltons in the town might as well put a gun to their head.

"C'mon, we need to get goin'," Daryl sighed as he pushed off the frame with his shoulder and walked out the room. I rubbed my eyes with the heel of my hands before zipping up my bag and throwing it over my shoulder.

I followed Daryl's tracks to the cafeteria. All of the group waited for us with their hands either in front of them or crossed over their chest. Rick took place in front while I noticed Merle stayed in the shadows in the back.

Daryl shook hands with Rick as they patted each other's shoulders. Maggie made her way over to me with a broken smile. I gave her the same expression not wanting to make the situation any worse. "Just.... be careful, okay?" Maggie nodded clasping onto my shoulder tightly. I nodded slightly before muttering,"You too."

I let Daryl say his last goodbyes as I walked over to Carl. His huge Sheriff's hat shadowed most of his face in the dark building. I noticed he usually kept his hand rested on the handle of his pistol in case he needed to pull it out quick.

"So, you're jus' gonna leave?" he asked looking up at me. I gave him a sympathetic smile before crouching to his level and resting my arms on my thighs. "I'm coming back, Carl. Soon, this entire thing will blow over and we can live together. Got it?" I smirked as I stroked a piece of his hair that poked under his hat. He nodded his head slightly like I did with Maggie.

No one wanted us to leave. Not even Rick. We needed as many people here as we possibly could with power to take the Governor. The prison was about to lose two of their best people because of what I have on the inside. If they die, it's on me.

-Three Hours Later-

This car ride wasn't like the usual ones. The pressure from the seat belt didn't constrict me. We basically couldn't wear them anymore in case we had to make a quick escape.

"So, what's your plan, Dixon?" I asked letting out a heavy sigh as I leaned back in the seat. Daryl glanced at me for a second then went back to the road. His left arm reached to the wheel and his wrist bent over the circle.

"Dunno. Probably just set up the tent tonight and look for soemthin' more permanent tomorrow. Maybe a house with fences. Won't be hard to find," he sighed chewing at his fingernails on his free hand who's elbow was propped on the door.