||Chapter Twenty Seven||

||Avery's POV||

I stared up at the ceiling with barely any air circulating through me. He just stormed out of here like a bat out of Hell. I even thought I heard the door slam downstairs.

I just waited for something to happen. There was bound to at least some indication that he would come back and tell me he wasn't mad.

For a second, I swore I heard the sound of footsteps. My heart started to quicken its pace thinking that it was Daryl. I watched the door open slowly as I sat up in my bed. A figure came out from behind the door. It was tall and thin. There was barely any light in my room so I couldn't tell who it was, but I easily knew it wasn't Daryl.

"Well, you ready to serve Woodbury, Avery," I heard the familiar voice of the Governor.

||Daryl's POV||

I walked along the fenced in line of the house. I sometimes saw walkers snarling at me trough the thin gaps between the white wood that stood a few feet above me. I kept my crossbow pressed hard against my shoulder as I breathes heavily.

I can't believe I let her kiss me. This wasn't suppose to happen. All there should have been was me protecting her from the Governor and bringing her back to the prison when he was dead. End of story. Period. Yet, that wasn't what happened, but I didn't try all that hard to keep it professional.

I probably circled the perimeter of the wide area fence four or five times. My actions were just like my thoughts, going around in circles.

Also, Avery had broke her promise to me. She did everything in her power to read that book which angered me all the more. Well, I guess I couldn't blame her. She's been through Hell and back with a lot of scars marked on her, but haven't we all done same?

I decided to finally hang up my shift and head back inside. I was mostly interested in what she could have been reading that made her break her promise to me. When I got in the house, I set my crossbow in the counter and headed for the living room. The book lay on the floor all disheveled from my anger. I picked it up gently with my finger on the page where the bookmark was.

'June 23, 2010:

Well, it's finally begun. The outbreak that Avery was supposed to cure was finally let out the other day. It has already infected thousands of people in Georgia and also globally. I was told that if this happens, Avery would be the first one to be contacted to go to the CDC. I'm just hoping my baby can stop this before it gets worse.

I'm also planning a sanctuary for the children in case Avery can't fix it. I haven't seen her since last week when she stopped by to help with the kids and laundry. We will go to Atlanta where the is supposedly a camp for refugees. I'm basically hauling 35 kids witth me half-way across the state. This isn't going to be fun.

Well, I'm guessing this is my last entry unless things change, but nowadays, miracles don't happen on the regular.

~Darlene Martin'

I turned the page hoping for more to the story, but all I found was a blank, indented page from the last entry. I'm not sure if Avery has read this part. I know that he had been longing to find out where here artificial family had went and if they were still alive. Since they went to Atlanta, my bets aren't on most of them being alive.

Although, who knows? Maybe there was a camp there that had moved since Atlanta was claimed by the dead. They could have escaped and are living in a government protected sanctuary. They might be in a small city where there a basically any walkers or the Pentagon where there is a lot of military protection. All of this seems too good to be true and I'm wishing for them to be alive even though they aren't my family.

I decided to check up on Avery to see if she hadn't disappeared on me. I carefully took my time up the stairs while listening for the faintest sounds. Her door was slightly ajar, but I was pretty certain that I had slammed it on the way out. She might have come to check up on me after I went outside. I opened the door slowly to see a lump of sheets in the middle of the bed. I walked up to it and gently pulled the covers back.

All I saw was pillows.

||Avery's POV||

My wrists were rubbed raw against the nylon rope. My mouth was shoved with a fabric gag to keep me quiet. Every time I tried to yell for daryl's  help, it would only leave me choking on my own spit. I sat in the back of a military Jeep constantly bumping and being thrown across the bed with Martinez's eyes staring at me. For some reason, I thought I saw sympathy in his face as he bit his lip in worry.

I stared straight back at him thinking that I could get him to set me free. I felt telepathic when he sat up and crawled over to me to untie the gag. I shook it off my face as he sat back down across from me. I could barely see him in the dark, but the overhead lights gave me some sight on him.

"Why?," I snarled trying to fight my restraints. He let out a heavy sigh as he ran his hand over his face,"The Governor is ruthless. Anything that gives him more power over the world, he's gonna take it. He's gunned down the military just for weapons and these vehicles. Avery, he's not just gonna get the cure from you and just let you go. It's gonna be worse than that."

"Well, you better tell him that I'm immune to a certain number of bites. Each time a walker takes a chunk of me, I get closer and closer to being infected. The serum they used on me can't be duplicated and if you did manage to do that, it takes years for it grow properly and we'll all be dead by that time, including me. It's like friendship bread, but without the sharing," I spat trying to increase my chances for him to let me go.

Martinez let out a scoff as he rubbed his small amount of facial hair,"I knew it was too good to be true. Just try telling him that." He pointed to the window where the Governor was sitting looking out the front window with his one eye. I wish I could just bust in there and take out his other eye and also his life. I know he's forcing these people to do unspeakable things while giving them food and shelter at the same time. These people aren't leaving not because they don't want to, but because he is forcing them to stay.