||Chapter Twelve||

||Chapter Twelve||

||Avery's POV||

I stared blankly at the metal staircase beneath me. I had to break the news to Carol about Daryl's absence. It was so heartbreaking to see her have a battle in her mind. "I'm sorry, Carol. I tried my best to get him to stay," I tried to reassure her. Nothing seemed to get her to calm down. Tears stained her face and my heart ached. Daryl's absence hurt everyone.

Rick had been lost. I don't think he's in his right mind. This might be the regular him, but since Daryl left, he's different. We can't get him to come and talk to us. He just wanders around the prison staring into space.

Glenn started to take charge of everything. He was about the able person to do it while Rick is in fantasy land and the next choice had disappeared. Hershel isn't able to anything with one leg and the need to watch over everyone.

Starting tomorrow, I will start experimenting with Stan. He said he kept records with him all the time and thankfully he brought his bag with supplies. We would need to go out on runs to get some extra stuff, but for the most part, we're good.

"Hey, Avery, why don't you come and help. It'll take your mind off of things," I heard Glenn call. My gaze shot up from staring at nothing to see him still looking beat up. The black eye has gone down some and his scratches were covered.

"Alright, just get some rest," I nodded while standing up from sitting in the middle of the stairs. "I'm gonna go for a run. Just get a few things and cab you look in on everybody for me. You're about the only person I can trust right now,"Glenn sighed scratching the back of his head. I then noticed he had some riot gear on and the mask dangled from his fingertips. He nodded his head before turning to go to his cell. I let out a sigh as I trudged down the steps.

I made my way through the gates to outside. I saw Carol and Axel on one of the balconies between the cell blocks having a laugh. A small smile formed on my lips knowing that Axel was able to keep her company when Daryl couldn't.

"Avery, come here!" I heard Rick call. He stood on the other side of the fence where a walker could easily get to him. I furrowed my eyebrows at the scene and jogged closer. "Hey, what ya doing out there?"

"Just doing some stuff... things," he stuttered while pointing behind himself. My breathes were shallow. Everything was going to Hell, even Rick's mind.

"Come back in. We need to get ready in case something happens," I sighed grabbing onto the fence. Rick shook his head in protest and turned away towards the oxidation pond. "Rick, please," I called, but he ignored me.

I waited a few minutes seeing if he would come back. Nothing happened.

My stomach felt empty. The stitches in my right bicep throbbed in pain. I pursed my lips before resting my forehead on the fence. My fingers held onto the chain tighter. I don't think there's any coming back from this.

A single gunshot was then fired. It was far off, so it being Rick was impossible. "Rick!" I shouted, but there was no answer. The Governor came for us.

||Daryl's POV||

We neared the prison. It was an overnight walk and it was painful. Merle ended up following and it annoyed me so much. He always made remarks about something stupid. I sometimes think he just likes to hear his own voice.

"So where they gonna put me when we get there?" I rolled my eyes for the millionth time since I found him. "Will you ever just shutup," I snarled stepping closer to home.

Merle scoffed right before a single gunshot rang out. I waited a few seconds then non-stop gunfire began. I didn't hesitate to start running back to the prison where I knew the Governor was attacking.

I could see the clearing and heard Merle running behind me. "C'mon," I shouted starting to get tired. I made it past the trees to see Rick pushed up the fence with two walkers piling on top and another coming at his left. I rose my loaded crossbow and aimed the best I could. The bolt pierced the walker's skull making it go limp in Rick's grasp.

He let go of the corpse and stared at me as Merle ran towards the geek that was coming at him. With a single stab with his knife, Merle took down the walker and smirked at Rick.

"Where's Avery?" I asked him as I neared the duo. "She's uhhh.... She's somewhere in the fences. She was fighting off some walkers," he stuttered pointing to the yard behind him. I nodded my head and started to run to the gate.

I made it to the entrance to find it busted open with walkers crawling all through the yard. "Avery!" I shouted while jogging through the gate,"Avery!"

"Daryl!" my name was screamed back at me as if she was in peril. "Avery?" I shouted glancing through the yard trying to look for her. A movement in the tall grass then caught my eye. A walker was being pushed up with a bow at its neck while it reached towards the ground. Its food was invisible since the grass covered the ground, but I knew who it was.

I ran closer to her and dodged the oncoming walkers. Once I neared her, I tackled the corpse that was on top of her and shoved my knife through its skull. The blade slowly deepened itself into its brain while the body went limp beneath me. I yanked my knife out and glanced at the disheveled Avery.

She breathed heavy as she sat up and stared at me. "Thanks," she said out of breath as she stood up. She dusted of the front of her cargo pants as I followed her actions. "I'm gone for not even a day and everything goes to Hell," I scoffed while shouldering my crossbow.

Avery glanced up at me,"You don't even know how far we've gone." I rolled my eyes at how uptight everything was. Avery picked up her weapons and reloaded them. I watched as she turned to take down the rest of the walkers. With every pull of the string, she took in a deep breath. I helped with the silent kills.

"We have to get the gate fixed," I sighed after we cleared the yard,"Or more of 'em will start pilin' in. That gunfire is probably drawing them from miles."

Avery nodded her head and started for the cell block. I followed a few steps behind her and kept my gaze on the ground. I kept hoping Merle doesn't fuck anything up. I caught him in the corner of my eye walking next to Rick.

I let out an irritated sigh making Avery turn to me. "You alright?" she asked over her shoulder. "Yeah, just.... I don't know what's gonna happen with Merle," I said while scratching the back of my head.

Avery shrugged her eyebrows and continued to walk closer to the prison buildings. I watched as her sheath of arrows swung slightly back and forth from her movement. It was like mine, but much more fancier and was meant for arrows. It was wrapped in a thin brown cloth that would wrinkle near the seam.

I followed and swung my arm slightly at my side. We made it to find that there were no casualties so far. "Wait, where's Carol?" I heard Avery gasp. Everyone's eyes turned to her, to even me. My stomach churned and flipped. The gray haired woman was nowhere in sight.

Avery bit her lip as she started to shake slightly. "I'll go look for 'er," I said taking the position instantly. I turned my heel to look in the prison where she might be stationed, but a voice stopped me,"Daryl, wait, take Avery with ya. I don't want you going out there alone."

I glanced back at Rick before nodding my head. Avery stared at me with a sullen look on her face. Had she any connection with Carol at all?

I shook my head in the direction in the way I wanted to go. Avery immediately jogged to catch up with me with her bow dangling off her fingertips. I could sense her shaking next to me. "We're gonna find 'er," I tried to reassure her by nudging her shoulder. She nodded her head and stared straight on trying not to look at me.