||Chapter Seven||

||Chapter Seven||

||Daryl's POV||

"They should be back by now," Rick clenched at his hair while he paced in front of us. He seemed to be more worried than Hershel was. "Rick, they're alright. They probably got sidetracked. You know them," Hershel said adjusting his crutches to lean in closer to him.

I stood beside him clutching my crossbow's strap. "I'll go look for 'em in about an hour if they're not back," I suggested. Rick looked at me with a defeated expression. He let out a heavy sigh before dropping his hands from his head,"Daryl, can I talk to you for a second?"

I nodded my head like I usually do and followed him towards the guard tower, out of ear's reach. We left Hershel to hobble back to whatever he does as chores.

"I wanna talk to you about Avery," he said once we got to the tower. I rolled my eyes as I shifted my weight to one foot. "All I'm saying is that it seems that you're not sticking up for her lately. Does she even mean anything to you anymore?"

"Rick, I payed off my debt to her. Why should I care about her anymore? I got her here and she's doing her work like you asked. Just leave it at that," I snapped starting to walk away from him. "Daryl, we need to talk about this. I just want to ask you one question. Can we trust her?"

I turn to him with a menacing look on my face,"You tell me." Rick's face looked something horrid. "Daryl, just tell me. Carl said that she was..." he sighed, but I interrupted him,"She's trustworthy. That's all I need to say," I snapped at him.

"Then why did she come back an hour after you did for watch?" he asked taking a step closer. "I dunno, Rick. Don't you go sayin' that she was sneakin' around 'cause that's not what happened," I said still trying to get away.

"You know about what she's hiding, don't you," he sighed making me stop in my tracks. I nodded my head slightly then started to walk away from him again. I blew it. I told her it was her problem, but I dragged myself into it.

||Avery's POV||

"Hey, you wanna go clean out the tombs again?" I asked Daryl as he passed by me. He had an upset look on his face. He said nothing as she shoved my shoulder to walk past. I was fed up with him ignoring me. It wasn't my fault that I was born with it and I'm about to tell him that.

I spun around and grasped his left arm that was raised to clench his strap. My hand didn't fit all the way around his bicep since he had some muscle on him. "I asked you a question. Don't you dare shut me out because I told you the truth. I saved your life for fuck's sake when I didn't have to. There's no reason you should be doing this to me," I snarled.

He looked over his shoulder at me and rose his eyebrows,"Rick's coming for you." I let go of him and took a step back. "What do you mean?" I asked a little confused. His sentence made me feel uncomfortable and vulnerable.

"Rick wants to know what you're hidin' from 'im," he sighed then turning away from me. He stayed in his tracks before speaking up,"Meet up where we did last time so we can clear out the rest. We only have a lil' bit left." With that, he marched away with his arm slightly swinging beside him.

My head wasn't clear. Why did I procrastinate to follow Daryl last night? I was just being dramatic, but it's my life I'm looking after. Did Daryl really spill my secret? He and Carol are the only ones in this group that knows.

I let out a heavy sigh as I ran a hand through my ponytail. I had to stop letting myself be such an open book. My emotions are winning the war which is about to cost me my life. I've never been one to show what I feel. I've always sat in the corner and watched everyone else make the decision. I'm the sheep and not the dog.