||Chapter Thirty Two||

||Avery's POV||

"C'mon. I parked the car over here," Daryl said while wrapping his arm across my shoulders and pushing me forward. We still stood at the place where I finally found him after killing the Governor.

My heart pounded with relief because Daryl was standing right in front of me. He existed. He was here. I could touch him. I could feel him. I could smell him. I could hear him. I could even taste his presence. He was here holding me.

"Avery."

I got out of the trance and looked up at him. Worry spread across his face as he clutched at the back of my shirt. "I'm fine. I'm fine," I sighed staring to walk slowly. Daryl's hands gently supported me since I was weak from the fight. My bones ached, but I had to keep moving forward.

I took a few painful steps trying to keep up a suitable pace, but the pain was too much. I clutched onto Daryl eventually pinching him causing him to hiss in pain. "It's alright," he sighed.

I wanted to cry over what I did to the Governor. He deserved it, but Milton might be back there getting his. I killed another man. I guess I'll add his name to the list of the many terrible things I've done.

We walked a few more steps, but the pain was still there. I tried to ignore it by asking Daryl questions. "How did you find me?" He looked down at me and clutched me closer. "I followed tracks in the mud. Their truck was pretty heavy so it wasn't too hard. All I had to do was just figure out where Woodbury was from there. We were just about ten miles out from it."

I let out a shaky breath. "Can't believe we were that close. If we would have been farther this wouldn't have happened." 

Daryl furrowed his eyebrows together,"The Governor is dead and you're not. I'm glad we stuck close. Now, all we have to do is find Rock and them."

"Oh, God. I nearly forgot what they looked like. I need to see them," I sighed in relief.

"Don't worry, you will. They need to see you too."

I smiled at him weakly before he looked ahead of us and saw the car he took to find me.

|| 1 Hour Later||

We sat in the car not saying a word. I don't know how our relationship stands, but I guess we are more than fellow survivors yet not as close as partners. I guess we're family as we call everyone else who protects us.

In the corner of my eye I saw Daryl starting digging in the back seat from the driver's side. He then pulled out the walkie-talkie and started to speak. "Rick," he called. He waited a few seconds, but there was only static. He was about to call again before his named was said over the speaker. "Daryl, you there? Daryl!"

A small smirk started to form on his face,"Cancel those grave digging plans, Rick. We're coming home."

Over the walkie I heard screams of joy and laughs. Rick was telling everyone else that we were alive. I looked over at Daryl at smiled.

We were going home.

----

We pulled up at the prison while the gates slid open like they were about to fly off their tracks. Our group gathered at the building with moist eyes before running to the car. Daryl stepped on the gas and cut the distance between us and our group.

The car came to a halt and they all crowded the vehicle. Tears were shed and laughs erupted in the air. I immediately threw open the door and since Maggie was the first one I saw with open arms, I hugged her first. I felt hands tugging my shirt and scratching at my skin. It felt like walkers were trying to pull me apart, but this is more gentle and was more focused on my comfort.