||Chapter Sixteen||

||Chapter Sixteen||

||Daryl's POV||

Why did in the old days at the funerals they forced you to look at the body? It was just a reminder that the corpse was what they used to live in. Their body was what you smiled at when you were talking to them. It was what they carried around so they could touch lives.

Then one day their energy is ripped away from them which we call dead. You see them lying in their coffin cold, pale, and lifeless. Their smile will never form on their face again. Their eyes will remained closed. Or at least what's left of their body is revealed for you to at least get one last look.

There were too many conflicts floating around the prison. The Governor was on our ass along with Avery being mad at me. Also, Rick is on his edge and ready to kill anything that gets in his way.

Rick, Michonne, and Carl had gone out on a run for ammo so I held down the fort. I stared at the concrete below my feet. The steel stairs were uncomfortable to sit on, but I wasn't welcomed anywhere else. Avery is in the cafeteria helping out with the cooking while Merle is locked up with her. I could only imagine what he was doing trying to get to her. My heart twisted knowing that Avery probably won't listen to me ever again.

I heard the cafeteria gate creak open. The rusted hinges gave everyone the goosebumps because no good news waited on the other side. Avery walked out of the eating area and tried heading for the stairs. I was in the way so I scooted over slightly to let her pass. I shouldn't test my limits. At least right now. All I can do is let her be and comprehend what she was.

My stomach churned and I closed my eyes. My brain pounded like my head just hit it hard against the concrete. Avery probably has it worse. The only person that knew her condition fully was now dead because of me.

I was going to regret it, but I decided to confront her.

I rose from the stair case and took careful steps higher and closer to her room. I made it to her open door to see her hunched over the folder I gave her with her head in her hands. Her shoulders shook and it looked like she was crying. A small sniffle a from her irrupted making my heart twist. "Avery?" I whispered.

Her head snapped up to reveal her red nose and tears wetting her face. "Don't talk to me," she stuttered. Her whimpers kept her from talking straight. I saw anger in her eyes before she turned back to reading the manila folder. I hunched my shoulders before walking up to the stool and taking a seat. I was surprised that she didn't grab her bow that was beside her and knock an arrow.

Avery lay still before rubbing her eyes and looking up at me. "You know why I did it. I had to. It was to keep everyone safe. I wasn't going to let you die and let Stan put an unknown serum in everyone. It didn't make sense. He didn't know what he was doing," I sighed trying to meet her gaze that she was avoiding.

"But you didn't have to kill him. He was an innocent man," Avery said trying not to start crying again. "Who didn't care if you died. I know to get the cure from you we had to go deep, but it wasn't worth getting you killed. You're worth more when you're alive than dead," I shook my head disagreeing with her.

"Just go, Daryl," she whispered.

My heart stopped not wanting to beat again. Looks like my attempts to comfort her has failed yet once again. "Avery," I pushed on reaching out for her.

"Just go! I don't want you here!"

I snapped back slightly in my chair and brought my hand back. I knew there wasn't much more I could do since she was already yelling.

I followed her instructions and walked out of her room. My heart hurt. There was no way I could change what I did. It was stuck with me forever. Also, there's no way for Avery to forget or forgive me. I killed the only person she had left. Carol was one of them, but she's gone too.