Chapter 5

Kili gets to his feet and turns to see his uncle slide down the hole, but Urilarue never comes. He stares at the hole, urging her to come but she never does. In a state of panic, Kili attempts to climb back out of the hole, only to be stopped by his brother and Dwalin.

"Kili! What are you doing?" Fili shouts as he holds his struggling brother back.

"Urilarue is still up there!" Kili responds urgently.

"We leave her. I will not risk the safety of this company to go back for a half breed who was never supposed to be on this journey in the first place," Thorin growls in response.

Kili stops struggling and stares at his uncle in disbelief. He is about to protest, but many screeches cut him off. Following those screeches, Urilarue slides down the hole. Kili relaxes and shakes his brother and Dwalin off him to help her up.

"Elves," Urzoth hissed as Kili pulled to her feet.

Thorin's eyes darken at the word and he opens his mouth to speak, but gets cut off by Dwalin. "I cannot see where the path may lead. Do we follow it or no?" he shouts.

"Follow it, of course!" Bofur responded.

The company followed the tunnel. The pathway got narrower and narrower until eventually it opened up on a cliff side, a small stream falling off the edge. A path lead down the mountain to a beautiful golden city. Thorin let out a low growl as he gazed upon the city. He was ready to say something, but Gandalf spoke first.

"The valley of Imladris. In the common tongue it's known by another name," The wizard said.

"Rivendell," Bilbo whispered in awe.

"Here lies that last homely house east of the sea," The wizard continued, gazing down the mountain at the city.

"This was your plan all along! To seek refuge with our enemy," Thorin hisses.

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this is that which you bring yourself," Gandalf responds, annoyance clear in his voice.

Thorin scoffed, "You think the elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us."

"Of course they will," Gandalf agrees exasperatedly. He lets out a sigh before continuing, "But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect, and no small degree of charm, which is why you will leave the talkin to me."

With that, the wizard makes his way down the mountain. The dwarves hesitate before following him. They look around the city in awe as they enter. Urzoth had never seen anything so beautiful, or colorful, to be frank. The party stopped in the middle of the courtyard where a young looking elf with dark brown hair stood watching them.

"Mithrandir," The Elf greeted.

"Ah, Lindir," The wizard responded with a polite nod of his head.

"Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen," The elf called Lindir said to Gandalf. The dwarves exchanged uneasy glances, not being able to understand elvish. Urzoth just kept her head down, hoping none of the elves would recognize her for what she really was.

"I must speak with Lord Elrond," Gandalf announced.

"My lord Elrond is not here," Lindir replied coolly.

"Not here? Where is he?" Gandalf queered, his eyebrows knitting together in confusion.

As if on queue, a loud horn rang, and elves poured through the gates on horseback. They formed a wide circle around the company that was now beginning to freak out.