4

Chapter Four

VANE JASON

She said her name is Asheng.

It was quite a simple and unusual name. It was as if her parents named her modestly, not knowing that their daughter will grow up to become one hell of a beautiful lady. They could have named her something different, something extraordinary, something that will suit her grace and gentleness.

It took her a couple of seconds before she answered my question. Feeling her anxiety and confusion, I could not help but wonder if it was my presence that unsettled her.

Because her presence unsettled me all the same.

I remember her abrupt movements as she pulled her hand back after the handshake that lasted only one full second. She gives me the impression that she's shy and timid. The silence and awkwardness that followed pushed me to fake a cough and ask her if she has been living in Daet for a long time. She raised her eyes up and met my gaze before shaking her head and telling me she just moved in.

She didn't ask me if I have been living here for quite some time, too.

She didn't bother trying to keep the conversation going.

She didn't supply any more information about her or asked any more about me.

She seemed so mysterious, so intriguing.

Hell, I can never really handle my curiosity very well. When she bid her goodbye and started walking down the cobblestone pathway, I just stood there, watching her get smaller and smaller from my vision, wondering what kind of person she is.

Suddenly, the guilt hit.

Why am I still curious about another woman when I'm about to get married? Why did I even bother asking for her name when a few months from now, it will only be Kate's name that will matter? Why am I thinking about her when I should be thinking about my future wife who's busy preparing for our upcoming wedding?

"Shit," I could not help but matter as I brushed my hair with my fingers. "Shit."

"What's wrong with you?" laughed a smirking Harvey. I wanted to wipe that smirk off his face, but I ended up sighing as I sat back on the pool chair. Maverick's eyebrow was raised in inquiry.

"Nothing's wrong. What's up with you, guys?"

"We saw."

"Saw what?"

"The woman who walked away with the puppy. We followed you when we heard the guard raise his voice. Gusto lang naman naming malaman kung ano ang nangyayari, but instead, we found you ogling at a super-duper hot chicka."

"A super-duper hot chicka na mukhang hindi kilala kung sino ka! That's new." Natatawang itiniklop ni Maverick ang mga braso niya sa ibabaw ng dibdib bago ako ipinukol ng nang-aasar na tingin. Pinandilatan ko siya bago nagbukas ng pangatlong bote ko ng beer.

"Someone's fucking curious!" Malakas na humalakhak si Harvey na siniko pa si Maverick. Pinagpasya kong hindi na lang sila pansinin.

"The girl looked clueless that she was talking to one of the biggest stars in Spain. Ang mga babae sa Espanya ay pinagkakaguluhan ka, nagkakandarapa sa'yo para sa ngiti at sulyap mo. But that woman, damn, she does not look even a single bit interested in you!"