18

Chapter Eighteen

"Toujours belle," Nana said as she clasped a necklace around my neck. It was the same one my mother had worn on her wedding day. She gave it to Nana as a gift, but she insisted I wear it today, because the style matches the white french vintage puff-sleeve dress I had on.

Nana had been with us in Paris for almost four years and during her stay learned a few useful phrases. Toujours belle is one she always says  back when I was young. It meant always beautiful.

"Merci mille fois." I was looking at myself in the mirror and had to resist the urge to cringe at how my eyebrows were drawn out. I think the left eyebrow is a little bit thicker, but I didn't want to re-do, because I don't have enough time and I don't want to mess it up more than I already did. I had a light pink blush on my cheeks and I also highlighted my brow bones and the tip of my nose. The risk of me messing up the contour was too great, so I decided to skip that part. Inna went over earlier and helped me put on natural-looking fake lashes or falsies as she called them to make my eyes look more alive. I wanted to do a cat-eye liner, but after three failed attempts, I decided to leave that part out and settle for a natural looking eyeshadow. On my lips, I put nude lipstick and despite Inna insisting that I overdraw my lips with a liner, I stuck with the original choice.

Overall, I think I look alright.

Nana asked me if I was ready after she unplugged the hair curler. I took one final look at myself in the mirror, all-curled, dressed up, and shy. I gave her a nod. She excitedly went down to wait for Vane, because he's arriving in the next five minutes, and she wants to give me a grand entrace.

A couple of minutes later, I heard the sound of his car outside. It made my anxiety hike up a little bit higher and I started questioning myself if backing out at the very last minute was the wisest choice.

He hasn't seen me yet. I could just say my head started aching or that I've suddenly developed a fever. I could say a bunch of unconvincing things just so I don't have to attend the party anymore.

My phone lit up. I picked it up from the dresser and opened Vane's message.

I don't think it's normal to be this nervous to see you tonight. I can't wait, though. I'm downstairs with Manang and she's talking non-stop about the way you looked. 😊✌🏻 I'm ready whenever you are.

Picturing him holding up a peace sign did the trick. My anxiety relaxed a little bit, so I took advantage of it by taking slow steady breaths. I found out long before that big gatherings make me feel so uncomfortable. But the fact that it's for Vane, and that he'll be there, is helping me ease the inner tension. I realized I don't really want to disappoint him and lead him on.

I can't wait to see him, too. I took a simple clutch from my drawer and stashed my phone, ID, cash, and a card inside.

The moment I started climbing down the stairs, a myriad of emotions quickly resurfaced. I'm tensed, and excited, and thrilled. As I neared the foot of the stairs, I thought, this feels like prom. I'm in the lovely dress with butterflies fluttering inside my stomach and I feel... exhilarated and frazzled at the same time. 

Just as I took the last step, Vane, who is currently talking to Nana, twisted and turned. His hand slowly fell to his sides and he stopped speaking, midsentence. It was as if words were trapped in his mouth as he looked at me, not smiling, not reacting. He looked... spellbound.

My heart was beating louder inside my chest as I scanned his appearance. This is the first time I've seen him in semi-formal clothes and he looked even more masculine in his loose-fitting white linen long sleeve polo. The sleeves were pushed up to his elbows. The brown slacks and classic loafers he paired it with looked timeless. His hair was slicked back, parted sideways.