14

Chapter Fourteen

A series of loud knocks on my bedroom door jolted me awake. I left the veranda door open last night and with the thick curtains drawn, the warm light coming from the sun gave my bedroom a golden glow. Marcia's voice resonated from outside the room once more, telling me that breakfast is ready, and that my abuela is waiting for me.

"One minute, por favor." Instead of hurrying to my bathroom to get ready, I fumbled with the sheets and blankets on top of my bed to look for my phone. When I found it beneath the sea of pillows, I clicked the lock button on the side, and the screen automatically unlocked upon recognition of my face.

Four text messages were waiting for me. All from the same person.

I sat back on the side of the bed, raked my fingers through my messy hair, swept them to the side, and bit at the side of my lower lip as I read and absorbed them one by one.

Yes, I do miss my twin brother a lot. I did try to convince him to come with me here in Daet, but he said work makes him happy. Oo, alam ko ang naiisip mo, ang weird pakinggan. Hahaha!

Asheng and I were talking last night about our families and I asked her to tell me more about her twin brother. She said he's usually silent and reserved, but deep inside, is really thoughtful and caring. She told me how he's been with her during every win, and every downfall, and that she considers him her bestfriend. Even when I couldn't see her, I knew she had a smile on as she talked about how she loves and cares for her family, and... there is something really attractive about that.

The second text message came twenty five minutes later. It said: I guess you fell asleep. I hope I didn't bore you with my stories. O:) Good night, Vane.

The third one was sent an hour after the last.

Hindi ako makatulog. Naisip ko lang, bakit si Spongebob ang bida, kahit si Patrick naman ang star?

The laugh that escaped from me was so loud, but I couldn't contain myself. That question did make sense. I have no idea why she was thinking about cartoon characters that late in the evening.

I scrolled through the last message — one that I received fifteen minutes ago.

Good morning. :) Naka-schedule akong magturo sa mga bata mamayang tanghali. Nakita ko si Oscar kanina at hinahanap ka n'ya sa'kin. He seems to like you a lot.

I started typing my reply, but heard another knock from the door.

"Senyorito, hinihintay ka na ng Senyora sa gazebo." This time, it was Lisa.

"Alright! I'll be down in a few minutes." I finally detached my glorious behind from the mattress and dragged myself to the bathroom. I splashed my face with cold water, hoping it finally takes off my morning drowsiness. While brushing my teeth, I couldn't help but whip out my phone tucked between my waist and the waistband of the sweatshorts I had on. I opened Asheng's text message and thought about what to say in response.

Do I say good morning first? Do I apologize that I slept on her last night? Or do I tell her I find Oscar likeable, too? I have a lot of things to say, but I don't know what should come first.

I spat the toothpaste on to the sink and quickly dressed myself in a thin white shirt before I went out and followed the black granite cobblestone path that led me to the garden.

I found my abuela holding her favorite beige abaniko as she sat patiently at the end of the wooden table inside the gazebo. Her face lit up when she saw me walking toward her. I gave her a light kiss on the cheek as I said, "buenos dias. Hoy sí que te ves guapa."