16

Chapter Sixteen

ALEXIANA CALLISTO

"Tapos, biglang nag-liwanag!" Vane flipped the page of the book and the sea of children surrounding him gasped collectively as they stared at the colored images. They seemed to be thoroughly enjoying his company. "Bigla na lang nag-transform ang beast sa isang magiting at matipunong prinsipe."

"Wow! Kamukha mo 'yung prinsipe, Senyorito Vane. Parehas kayong blandino!" giit ni Angel na sinang-ayunan ng iba pang mga bata.

"Blandino?" Vane looked confused. "Ano 'yun?"
From where he sat, he glanced sideways and our eyes met, and I saw how confused he was with the term. I laughed, pointed at his crown of blonde hair, and he started to nod in understanding. He turned his attention back to the children and said, "mas guwapo naman ako r'yan!"

"Lamang s'ya ng maraming paligo, Senyorito, kasi tignan mo naman ang abs n'ya," sabi ni Carlos.

"Huh?" Nagkamot ng ulo si Mae. "Hindi ka ba naliligo, Senyorito?" Nasundan ito ng tawanan ng mga bata.

Ngayon ay nagpapahinga lang ako sa lilim ng puno ng mangga sa gilid ng barangay habang pinapanuod sila. Matapos ang lesson ay tinulungan ako ni Vane na pakainin ang mga bata. Nang matapos silang kumain ay ini-request nila na basahan sila nito ng istorya at nagagalak na pinaunlakan sila ni Vane.

It makes me really happy to see them getting along so well. These kids have grown on me and they have a special spot in my heart. I love how Vane volunteered to join the teaching sessions as frequent as he can. I love how he patiently attends to them and answers their silly questions. I love how he laughs at the simplest of their jokes as if those are the best ones he's ever heard. I love a lot of things about him and one day, I wish I get the courage to tell him about the things that make him magical.

"Asheng!" Nana Soling shouted from the front porch of the house. I twisted and saw her holding my phone in her hand. "May tumatawag sa'yo."

I glanced back on Vane and the kids and saw them laughing once more as he asked them what lessons they learned from the story. I don't really want to miss out on this part, so I signaled Nana that I won't be taking the call for now. Perhaps, whoever it is on the other line can wait for me to call back in an hour or less.

"Hindi, hindi puwede!" Nana started walking toward me, still holding the buzzing phone. I decided to meet her halfway and when I saw the name on the caller ID, I understood why she was frantic to have me answer the call. "Alam mo naman 'yan. 'Pag 'di ka sumagot agad, nakuuuuuu!!!" But she was smiling as she said that. "Sabihin mo dumalaw naman s'ya, at dalhan ako ng pasalubong."

"Why didn't you answer the phone call?" I was smiling as I took the phone from her. She snorted and made air gestures with her hands.

"Nako! Sabihin mong nagtatampo ako, pero kapag nagbigay s'ya ng pasalubong, okay na ako uli."

"Alright, I'll let him know you said that." Just as I was about to accept the call, the phone stopped ringing. Nana walked back to the house, while I returned to the wooden bench under the shade of the massive mango tree, where I had a clear view of the kids... and of Vane.

I decided to return my twin brother's call.

"Alexiana..." His tone was low, steady, yet he sounded slightly annoyed. "You're keeping something from me."

I was slightly surprised. "Keeping what? I'm not," I defended as I crossed my legs and leaned on the rough bark. Vane was now asking questions about the story to test if they understood the moral and I can see the children raising their hands, arguing about who should be called first.