20.

Colby walked out to the backyard where Rebecca was sitting on the couch under the patio. He took off his jacket and handed it to her since it was cold, she tried to shrug it off but he persisted and eventually got her to put it on.

"We need to talk" he said quietly sitting down next to her

"Is Olive in bed?" She asked "did you read her a story? Did she brush her teeth?"

"I read her two stories and yes, brushed and flossed" he nodded "now can we talk?"

"There's nothing to talk about" she folded her arms across her chest

"Rebecca.." He said "I'm sorry.. I don't know what else you want me to say"

"I don't care that you weren't there.. I don't care you missed a stupid appointment.. I'm hurt because you lied to me" she said

"What did I lie about?" He asked

"You promised me you'd be there every step of the way.." she said quietly "you haven't been"

"I know and I'm sorry" he said "I'm promising you now that I'm going to be there.. to hell with them if they can't understand that"

"How do I know you aren't lying?" She questioned

"Rebecca I'm 33 not 6, you can trust me" he laughed "I'm right here, now I'm not going anywhere" he said and grabbed her hand

"Can we finish this inside?" She asked "it's cold..."

"Come on" he said and pulled her up and just held her there for a moment then smiled

"What?" She asked with a laugh

"Your gorgeous" he said

"Don't try and change the subject Lopez.. your not getting off the hook that easily" she warned

They went inside and sat on the couch to continue their conversation. There was some awkward  silence as they tried to gather their thought, Rebecca was the first to speak.

"If your not going to be here.. then I'll leave because I feel like at this point the only reason I'm here is for Olive" she said and his heart broke

She felt that way? Colby didn't know what to say. He wanted to tell her that he was going to be there more, which he was.. buy he knew she wouldn't believe him.

"Rebecca I love you" He said "I'm here now, I promise I'm not every going to let you do anything alone ever again"

"And I love you but I can't feel like I'm raising your daughter and our son alone" she shook her head "she needs you, more than I think you know, I need you"

"And I know that.. I love you all so much and I can't risk losing you" he said "so that's why I'm willing to give it all up for you guys"

"That's not what I'm asking" she said "I just want you here more"

"I know your not asking.. I'm saying.. I will give everything up if it means I have you" He said

"I just want you here" she said "that's all I want.. I want to be able to see you more than once a week.. I want to be able to wake up most mornings with you beside me.. I want to be able to go to sleep at night knowing I won't have to explain to your daughter that daddy won't be here for 3 more days.."

Colby smashing his lips into hers and just held her. He wanted her to know he was here now and not ever leaving, she wasn't going to be able to get rid of him if she tried...

"I promise, I'm never going to let you go through anything alone ever again" he said