Chapter 1

"Not again" I groaned when I saw the note on my door. I grabbed it to read it. It was the same threat as usual. 'We will meet soon, just wait..' it said. I rolled my eyes. You probably wonder why I wasn't acting scared. Well, I was not. I had been receiving those kinds of threats since last year. I knew who was doing this, but it couldn't be true. I sighed and crumbled the piece of paper and went inside. I placed my bag on the floor and went out to go to my neighbor. I knocked on the door and Thea opened the door.

"Hi Thea, how are you?" I asked her while stepping inside. You see, raising a child alone is difficult. I have to work and I still study, so Thea always looks after my little one. She is an old lady who lives alone. So she offered to look after him since she has the time and likes to spend time with my son.

"I am fine dear, and you?" She said. I smiled at her. The tone of her voice just makes you feel so safe and warm. She is really genuine.

"I am fine too, so where is my little one?" I asked her, too excited to see my son. You know, I never knew that being apart from your children for a day will make you miss them terribly. When I don't see my son the whole day, I already miss him so much. When I walked further in, I heard his cries. I walked over to the sound and found him lying on the floor. When he saw me, he smiled and stood up. He just learned how to walk, so I stayed right there waiting for him to come to me. When he took a few steps, he stumbled and fell down. My heart started to beat faster and I rushed over to his side and pulled him in a hug.

"Salaam Karim, how are you? Were you a good kid to Thea?" I talked to him. He just looked at me and rambled something in his own lanuage. He looked at me with his green eyes. They were the same as his father's. Not that he has a father anyway. Stop thinking about that Manar.

"As always darling. But today he slept much more than he normally did. And he just ate his food" she said. I placed my hand on his forehead to feel his temperature. I was afraid of him having a fever. You may ask me why I was so concerned just because he overslept. Well, when he was a few months old, he got this fever and had to stay for a long time in the hospital. These few weeks were like Hell and I really didn't want to think about it. Thank Allah, he had no fever.

"Dont worry Manar. That will only happen once" Thea said while rubbing my back. She is the sweetest. She was there since the first day I moved here. She was there when I had a hard time to start my own life. All on my own.

"Thank you Thea, but we never know" I said while standing up and putting Karim's stuff in his bag. Thea brought his jacket and helped Karim to wear it. He was really growing up. He already wants to do everything on his own. I walked over to them with the bag in one arm and took Karim in the other. We walked to the door and I turned around.

"Thank you Thea, I really don't know what to do without you. You really safe me a lot" I told her with all honesty. She is not a muslim, but that doesn't matter. She cares a lot about us and never complains when I ask her to watch Karim.

"You dont need to thank me. Thank God. He gives you the strength. And besides, I love the little man" she said and at that moment Karim let out a giggle. I kissed his cheek and smiled.

"I will drop him off tomorrow morning before school" I said. She nodded.

"You don't need to tell me every day, I will wait" she said. We said our goodbyes and I walked over to my house. It was little, but enough for the two of us. Besides, I don't need to pay any rent so it's more than enough.

"Well, Karim. Mum is going to pray, okay?" I said to the sleepy baby in my hands. He yawned and squeezed his eye. I smiled and put him in his bed, not bothering to change his clothes. It was just another long day, and I still needed to start doing my homework..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EDITED

Salaam people. So this was the first chapter. I asked on my other story for a cover and tooo many of you sent me one. Some a few. Me and my sister decided to use the one you can see as the cover. It is made by sara_is_hungry. She also made the cover of You, my Punishment. I take her as my personal cover-maker now haha. For the other people, thank you so much! It means a lot. I just got too many covers. Some of you were still asking me and if I didn't reply, sorry, I just got too much and I have still a life besides Wattpad. Thank you all for participating and know that I really appreciate it and loved it! <3

I don't know if I should do Islam is my Life in this story. So tell me your opinion about it!

About the names Manar and Kamal. I chose these names for a reason. Many many years ago I read this book on a website. It was a book about two people who wanted to be together but no one else wanted them to be together. That is my favourite book and will always be with me. It taught me a lot and I hope I will never forget about it. So to remember it so now and then, I used the names of the main characters of that book. I can't find that book anymore cause that website deleted all the stories, but it was a Dutch one and it was called 'Pijnlijke liefde'. I don't know who wrote it or anything, but it was amazing.. If the writer is going to read this one day, thank you..