Going Home Pt. 3 - A Whole New World

Hello, everyone. I hope you enjoy this chapter!

-

"Well, next time, you need to remember not to touch that stuff." Dr. Pagete looked outside the window. "And, thankfully, we're..just about home." A minute later, the tramcar stopped with another lurch. Ciel was thrown against his seatbelt again, and he sighed. Wonderful. And he had this to look forward to on the way home.

Speaking of which, they were home.

For Sebastian and Dr. Pagete.

-

"Maurin will be taking care of you, little one." Dr. Pagete held out a hand for Ciel. Ciel took it and let the doctor help him out of the tramcar. 

"Maurin?" Ciel asked

"A good friend of mine. Since I'll be busy reversing the poisoning, I won't be able to tend to you. Maurin will get you food, blankets, whatever you need. Even if you want a hotel room to sleep in."

"He'll step in for Sebastian."

"Indeed. We'll have your original butler right as rain by the morning." Dr, Pagete put his arm around Sebastian's shoulders again. The demon's face still looked pale. Ciel was thankful they had a diagnosis, even if it wasn't one he wanted to hear. Poisoning had been his first suspicion before they knew Sebastian was pregnant. 

"How do you take care of sage poisoning..?"

"Fluids and time. We need to flush it out of his system. Once all of his symptoms are gone, we can declare him poison free." Dr. Pagete started walking. "Which shouldn't take long."

"Sebastian said he should be back by tomorrow morning." Ciel added.

"I am confident he will be ready for discharge by then."

Sebastian groaned. "As the Phantomhive butler, I will be ready when my master calls."

"You'll be ready when you're all better, Prince." Dr. Pagete pat Sebastian's back. "Come now, we're burning moonlight!"

-

Dr. Pagete was right, the aura was much heavier in Hell. Ciel waved his hand, watching the miasma flow with his movements. He brought his hand to his face, and sniffed. Among the smell of rain and fog lingered a scent he couldn't place. 

He squint his eye, looking at the stain the miasma left on his hand. Inky black tendrils stuck to his skin. He rubbed his hand on his pajama shirt. No use.

Another rub proved futile. He sniffed his hand again.

He brought his hand to his mouth.

He licked at the stain, unaware Dr. Pagete was watching. A quiet chuckle sounded as the small human pulled a face, spitting out the blackness. While the miasma smelled like fog, it tasted gritty and slimy. 

"If you're hungry, kid, Maurin will get you food." He said, amused.

"I need a cup of tea." Ciel rubbed his mouth, discreetly rubbing his tongue on the fabric. Tastes worse than Sebastian's first attempt to cook..

"He can fetch you tea, too. We're not too far from the hospital." 

Ciel looked around again, his breaths and walking disturbing the miasma enough for him to see. The further they walked, the more came into view around the three. Small homes, made out of grey brick with red trim. Windows lit up with squares of warm light. The scene in front of them looked strangely village-like. 

This was Hell? The dimension children were raised to fear - that Ciel had learned to embrace as his soul's final resting place?

-

"I thought Hell was supposed to be terrifying." Ciel spoke up. 

"Humans do have that legend, do they not?" Pagete mused. "Of fire and brimstone."

"Is this a facade?"

"I assure you, it is not. We do not have such magic to enchant our dimension." Pagete looked at the buildings around them. "What you see is what every other demon lives in."

Ciel didn't respond, processing the scenery around him. And the fact he entered despite the possibility of Hell actually looking like fire and brimstone. But this looked like a place to actually live. Maybe demons had lives outside of making deals with humans and devouring souls. They were people. Just highly different from the ones on Earth.

-

Yeah I don't know how to end this.