🍯 Honey pt. 1 🍯

I finally got around to editing this. Hope you enjoy it. As usual, it turned out to be a bunch of ideas I didn't know how to end. :-)

"Mister Bard..?"

Bard turned to see Finnian, who looked like the picture of sleep; his blond hair was mussed up, some of it covering his eyes. His striped pajamas were wrinkled as well. 

"Kid, you're supposed to be asleep. Did ya have a nightmare or somethin'?" The grandfather clock had recently chimed midnight.

Finnian nodded. "And now I can't fall back asleep...mister Sebastian usually makes a cup of warm milk, but he isn't here.."

"Yea, he had to take care of somethin' important, but he'll be back tomorrow. Want me to make you some milk?" Bard knew he had to be careful with what he said. If he worried Finnian, getting him back to bed would be impossible. Making it sound like the two heads of the household were on a case, was the best bet. 

"Just don't burn it, Bard.."

"I'll be careful, kid." Bard went to the kitchen, Finnian following behind.

Bard grabbed a carton of milk, then Finnian's favorite mug. He poured the milk in the mug, then stuck it in the microwave. "How long does Sebastian heat this for, do ya know?"

"Um...I think a minute."

The microwave began whirring after Bard set the timer. That was the only sound besides their breathing. Silence was rare in the Phantomhive manor, never spelling out anything good. Not like it had in the servant's previous occupations.

-

Silence in the lab was a ticking time bomb; Finnian knew it would only be a matter of time before he would be treated to something terrible. Whether that meant injections, or the awful times where the scientists forced him to kill a fellow experiment. Silence meant holding his breath.

The only silence Bard heard in the war, was death. Specifically, the death of the soldiers he had been tasked to bring to victory. He would be lying if he said he didn't harbor any guilt still. A lieutenant general, and he had failed at his job.

For Mey Rin, silence meant death as well. Watching Jan and Hao lay still, too still, after Haku dropped them off of the building. Even after she had done as he said. Silence was in between heartbeats, as she waited to pull the trigger. Hiding, timing her breathing. 

They all had blood on their hands. 

And Ciel and Sebastian knew that. Hired them despite it, because of it. Their skills were useful, even if they hated them. They were given a new lease on life, taught they could be more than weapons. All of them kept Ciel alive. Finnian kept vegetables alive. Everyone saw the fruits of their labor in real time.

However, old habits die hard. Everyone found their thoughts spiraling when they had nothing to do. So they had their vices. Bard smoked and drank. Finnian followed Bard around like a puppy, afraid to be alone. Mey Rin worried silently, her mind abuzz. All of them knew and thought about things they shouldn't know.  

Such as Bard and Sebastian's predicament. It was clear that Sebastian didn't intend to tell the servants about the news. Bard was sure the others would find out when Sebastian's stomach started growing. How did he intend to explain it then?

How would the others take the news? 

With all of Mey Rin's obsession over Sebastian, Bard felt she would be jealous. That she wasn't the one carrying the demon's children. 

Finnian...Bard couldn't tell. But he didn't have a good feeling. 

Did Tanaka know? He hadn't seen the greying butler in some time.

-

The timer ran out and filled the silence with incessant beeping. Speaking of time. Finnian jumped and stumbled backwards, nearly falling over. 

"You okay, kid?"

"I-I'm okay. Just got scared."

"Understandable." Bard took the mug out of the microwave, stopping the beeping, and closed the door after. "Now, be careful, it's hot. Do you want any honey in it, like the young master does?"

Finnian tilted his head. "But mister Sebastian said that causes cavities.."

"Eh...what he doesn't know won't hurt him. You need your sleep."

"Okay...yes, please. That sounds yummy."

"Coming right up, then." Bard took out the container of honey, and located the stirrer, which was shaped like a honeycomb. "You want to do it yourself?"

"I don't know how much to put in there.."

"Well, not a lot. Especially if he's right about the cavity thing, so probably one dip."

Finnian nodded and stepped closer to Bard, taking the stirrer. Bard opened up the jar and handed it to him. Finnian dipped the stirrer in the honey and pulled it up. Thick strands of golden honey clung to the rest in the jar. 

"Maybe not that much." Bard covered Finnian's hand and twirled the stirrer to get rid of the excess. When that was gone, he let go, and brought the mug over. 

Finnian twirled the stirrer again over the mug; the honey sank to the bottom, being heavier than the milk. 

Bard grabbed a spoon and handed it to Finnian. "Stir it around, or you'll have globs on the bottom."

Finnian stirred around the honey, licking the spoon when he was done. He could see why Ciel liked this, considering his sweet tooth. 

Bard put it in the sink. "Alright, kid, anything else you want?"

Finnian shook his head. 

"Then let's get you comfy on the couch, yeah? Wrap you up in your blanket."

-

Yes, you could consider this a filler chapter. I felt like what else I wrote, deserves a chapter of its own.