Chapter 21: A River Crossing

Author's Note: I got permission to share this amazing art by Ledgisimo, or artillerytortoise (on Tumblr – I have no idea how to post links here since it's not working so just search their username up on Tumblr) of Aries von Deistos, our lovable, reckless leader of the Zodiacs! I just love the detail, the pose – and they even came up with a flag for the Zodiacs! (Would Sagittarius use it in her brochure? Most definitely; if it wasn't lost to the fire. Don't worry though, she'll probably come up with another one when she has the time...!)

I just love this artwork and everything hh – okay, I don't think you readers need to hear me ramble about it, but make sure to check out their Wattpad for their book, Cowboy of Tomorrow, which I really recommend! And of course, check out their Tum...

I just love this artwork and everything hh – okay, I don't think you readers need to hear me ramble about it, but make sure to check out their Wattpad for their book, Cowboy of Tomorrow, which I really recommend! And of course, check out their Tumblr for more of their amazing art :D

(I'm also hoping to be able to show off another piece of artwork of a certain knight by a friend of mine but I'll need to get permission first; but keep your eyes peeled!) Also, if you haven't already, check out the Characters page for (not-so-new) references for the Zodiacs!

-x-x-x-

The entrance to the cave systems were a little further down the lakeside. They weren't overly hard to spot because the roaring of the river splitting off from the Loch Etive to lead down into the cave itself grew exponentially louder as they approached. A wooden fence had been erected next to the narrow passageway, reaching about waist-height, but it didn't stop the group from jumping the fence (or scrambling over it, in other... more 'vertically-challenged' cases) in single-file to inch their way inside.

The narrow path bordering the river was slippery from the froth, and the way it became incredibly steep within moments was to no help. Several torches had been passed down the line, so the only source of light was the receding glow of daylight from behind them and the flickering red flames from the magically cast torchlights. Aries led the group with a torch, with Libra somewhere in the middle with his own glowing light and Pisces following up the rear.

Gradually, the path widened out enough for them to walk a little more comfortably along the right side of the churning river.

"Echo!" Gemini called into the cave. She let out a squeal of delight at the sound of her voice calling back to her from somewhere further in the dark abyss.

"Gemini, don't be childish." Aquarius said from behind her. Her voice echoed back to her as well, though Aquarius paid no mind to it.

"How long is this cave?" Libra asked, twisting around to shine the torch across rocky walls that wet with spray. The river itself was merciless as well; water constantly sprayed across their shoes from the heaving river, soaking through the leather uncomfortably in record time.

"If we're following the 'path hitherto Deidre's tragic tale', then I'd say... about half a day. Or was it a full day? I can't quite remember." Pisces admitted. "Nobody ever talked about how long they actually travelled."