Chapter 40: Art of Words

It was almost scarily easy how they could simply walk through the front entrance and not be stopped. Inside the tavern – the names of the taverns had all blended into one another at some point from how many they'd visited – it was dim, aside from the makeshift stage, which was lit by warm firelight and the dazzling presence of the bard that commanded it.

As if stepping into the tavern had triggered something, suddenly the figure on the stage whirled around, blue fabric seemingly suspended in the air for just a moment; and with a crackle of lightning and a clap of thunder, the Siren played a vibrant chord on her violin and dived into a lively violin solo.

The tavern burst into noise. The sound of whooping and cheering couldn't drown out the dazzling presence of Pisces Nereid and her music; the clacking of the heels of her boots to the beat, the rich thrum of her music, the spirited gleam in her eyes.

"On an ocean of night, the goddess will sing – Hark! To her voice, upon tides of stars –" She seemed to hesitate for just a moment, and with a start, Capricorn realised she was staring right at them. However, she seemed to recollect herself in an instant and her eyes swept over her crowd again.

"– of a promise, to the people!" She continued, then pointed her violin bow out in the general direction of the crowd with a flourish.

"Of peace, forevermore!" The tavern sang back, off-key but causing the floor to shake with their enthusiasm.

"Beneath her sister's gentle wings at the crest of dawn – she'll give way to a future led by the wings of the people." Pisces bowed as soon as she finished her line; brown-and-blue braids swinging in front of her and her hair still fluttering in the air from the energy of her dance.

If the off-key singing hadn't shaken up the tavern enough, the thunderous applause rocked the building to its core. Pisces jumped back upright, eyes sparkling and a smile on her face. The tavern seemed to quiet instantly.

"Thank you for having me today." She said clearly, eyes sweeping over the audience again. "You've been an amazing audience and I truly do appreciate having all of you here with me today!"

"I love you!" Someone screamed from the crowd. They were smacked over the head by whoever was closest to them, and they promptly slumped to the ground in a snoring heap.

Pisces didn't even bat an eye at the occurrence. "As usual, any tips you've given will go to supporting myself and my performances; and as a special bonus, it'll also be going to a meaningful cause. I can vouch for its authenticity myself!"

She smiled and bowed again. "So thank you, everyone, from the bottom of my heart! The Siren wishes you all a wonderful night!"

The cheering and applause started up again. The crowds shifted forwards towards the makeshift stage, chattering loudly among themselves, and several workers moved to light the lamps in the tavern again.

Realising they were still standing out in the open, Taurus quickly beckoned them all over to blend into the crowd.

"What's – going on?" Gemini asked, jumping up and down as she tried to peer over the heads of the people in the crowd. "What're they looking at?"

"You're drawing attention, Gemini. Stop it." Capricorn said as sternly as possible.

Gemini laughed at him instead.

"I didn't realise you'd come to see me perform – I'm a little embarrassed, ha." Before Capricorn could retaliate, they heard a familiar, cheerful voice quickly greet them.

"Pisces! I'm glad you're alright." Libra said, sending her one of his usual kind smiles. However, that quickly turned to worry. "It is rather late in the night... you said you'd be back by nightfall."