Chapter 16: Drawing Out Conclusions

Author's Note: I wrote Virgo's part in Economics class because I'd finished the work he set during class for homework. At least, that was before the entire Coronavirus fiasco – now we're doing online learning from home for an entire month. Anyway, here's another chapter!

-x-x-x-

The shopkeeper watched them like a hawk as they explored the shop of miscellaneous objects – books, statues, charms to ward of evil and the like.

However, aside from the entire 'tomes' section being removed and the shopkeeper's watchful gaze, there didn't seem to be anything suspicious about this shop — just like the five other shops they had investigated.

The oak wood planks and the earthy fragrance – with a hint of something sweet and floral – was strangely familiar to Virgo. Is it a perfume of some sort? She pondered as she wandered about the little shop, keeping her steps light to minimise the creaking of the ancient boards beneath her feet.

Perhaps I really did live in Gaebia, once.

Virgo ignored the fleeting thought. No, my job right now is to look for clues for this... 'Eirean Church'. I owe my life to the Zodiacs; I should do all that I can to help them. She frowned and chewed on her lip, momentarily lost in thought as she studied the various fabrics laid out on the shelf without really looking at them. But I don't understand the motives of the Eirean Church... they want to purge the world of believers of the goddess of the night, Nyriu, but according to the Zodiacs, they use 'dark magic'. What is dark magic, anyway? Is it the counterpart to... whatever magic I used?

Virgo shuddered as she thought back to it. The glowing, white light, tinged with gold, flooding from her hands in radiant waves that consumed the man whole – and he was just gone; not even a whisper of dust to signify he had ever existed. A life snuffed out, just like that.

Did I... kill him? I'm a murderer... I killed a man... I killed the man who killed... my family.

Out of the many things Virgo was unsure about, this one fact seemed to become ever clearer in her mind. Yes... he killed them. But... were they ever my family? They certainly look like it... and they were not my family, why would they be there? Why would I be doing with them? Where were we going?

Her mind refused to put the pieces together. It teased at the edge of her mind, just frustratingly out of reach, and it really frustrated Virgo; it was like being caught in a tricky maneuver in a game of fidchell as a triumphant smile tugged at the lips of her opponent, sitting opposite her –

Huh?

That was something new. Fidchell... that sounds like the name of some sort. Is it... a game? What is it? Why do I remember...

Her head hurt again and that information slipped, frustratingly, just out of reach.

Virgo gritted her teeth, but forced herself to relax her tightly clenched fists and allow a serene expression to pass back over her face.

I was so close... there was a person. Who was that person playing against me? If I had waited for one second – I would've seen their face. Ugh... why must everything be so vexing?

Virgo sighed and continued browsing the shelves, forcing herself to concentrate once again. Nothing out of the ordinary here... If I was part of a secret group of people, where would I hide? Not out in the open, for sure...

Scorpio, Libra and Cancer were wandering about somewhere in the store. After making a quick decision – I won't stray far – Virgo took a glance around and slipped outside the shop, ascending the stairs and stepping back on the road.