Chapter 15: Smoky Lavender Tea

"I'm... Adam! And I'm here to sell... things! Things that you'll need!"

Pisces very gently but firmly shoved the hooded Aries away from the guard, who was suspiciously glaring at the so-called 'Adam'. However, his eyes immediately landed on Pisces and his eyes widened.

"Oh, you're–!"

"Yes, I am Pisces Nereid, the Siren." Pisces said smoothly. "I came here looking for an audience in the taverns of Saturis. After all, where else was I supposed to find the best audience?" With a wink and a teasing smile, she added, "Maybe I'll be able to organise a... show for the guards, soon. I'm sure you all would appreciate a good song..."

"Yes! Of course!" The guard cried, caught off-guard by the famed bard. "I... of course, please do feel free to enter!"

"You're very kind, kind stranger," Pisces let out a high-pitched giggle, "I'm looking forward to seeing you around."

"I–I'd be honoured!"

The guard ushered her through rather quickly. With an incline of her head, Pisces casually led her three hitchhikers through and past the stunned guard.

The wide smile on her face turned into something a little more sinister as soon as they walked past the guard. "Hm, that was just a little too easy. Whoever hires the guards here need to fire some people."

"She's... not what I expected." Capricorn muttered just a little too loudly.

"I'm not!" Pisces agreed, smiling brightly as she led the others around the complex turning of stone walls (again, to make it harder for invaders to enter) into the main city itself; a geometrical grid of streets with concrete buildings surrounding each street in every direction. The crest of Gaebia – the insignia rather than the magic-blessed 'Crest' – fluttered from each lamppost in streaks of green and gold.

However, what was most noticeable were the armed guards plodding down each street. The citizens gave them a wide breach – at least, the citizens that were out and about – as they marched.

"That was a close one," Aries breathed with relief as he glanced back at the entrance to Saturis, "Thanks for the save out there, Pisces."

"You're welcome!"

"Okay, everyone –" The sheepish grin on Aries' face disappeared, replaced with determination. "– we'll investigate."

"So what are we looking for, exactly?" Aquarius muttered as they began walking down the street with the utmost casualness.

"Oh, it won't be hard to spot. If you see suspiciously dressed individuals walking into the same place – most likely a building of sorts – we'll check there."

"And what do you mean by... suspiciously dressed?"

Aries shrugged. "They like wearing white to represent the goddess."

"Well, easy enough. Since there's literally nobody around anyway..." Capricorn glanced at the main street, where the guards were still marching. The citizens they had seen earlier had vanished completely as the guards marched. "Though we probably stick out like a flag on a tower since we're out in the middle of the street alone."

"That means we should go." Aquarius began to walk. "Let's lay low in one of the shops for now... I hope Prince Libra is alright."

-x-x-x-

"You can't sell weapons in the city."

"Oh...?" Cancer's face fell. Her lower lip trembled as she gazed up at the guard with tears in her eyes. "But they're just tomes..." She clutched at the collection of tomes that Pisces had lent her. "They're not..."