Chapter Twenty

The past year had gone by in a blur, Angelica had grown used to her new life with Mateo. Their relationship continues to grow and strengthen day by day. She couldn't deny the security and support she felt in his presence, he never failed to surprise her, even on their rare bad days. They were truly in love and happy.

"Where do you want this, pet?" Les asks from the doorway. He is holding one end of the beige sofa whilst Liam struggles with the other end. She smiles and gestures towards the back wall of the living room, "just leave it against that wall." she sighs contently and scans the various furniture and boxes that scatter around the room.

Mateo places a box at the door and walks over to Angelica, he stops just behind her and wraps his arms around her waist and rests his chin on her shoulder. "It is good, no?" she nods and smiles as she rests her head against his. "It's perfect because it's ours." she beams.

Leslie grins and chuckles as Liam twists his back in an effort to stretch his sore muscles; the sofa had been heavy. "I still canny believe that you bought a home together" Les mumbles in disbelief, he really hadn't expected Mateo to adjust to being in a committed relationship so quickly and easily. Mateo smiles and steps around Angelica so he can spin excitedly in the centre of the room. "Our home, for me and my Angelica. Am I in heaven?" he checks his pulse and winks at his girlfriend. She giggles and shakes her head at him, still filled with the same excitement and nervousness she had felt all that time ago when they had first met.

"I think it's great. You two are going to make a beautiful family in this house." Liam comments with an encouraging smile.

Mateo clears his throat and nervously gestures to the van, "I-I'll get the rest of the boxes" he stumbles over his words before quickly rushing out. Angelica frowns and slaps Liam lightly on the arm causing him to gasp dramatically and cry out in pain. "oh, stop being such a baby. It was barely a tap." she rolls her eyes at him as he rubs his arm.

"What was that for?" he asks.

"That was for bringing up the whole topic of kids." she explains. He frowns and tilts his head in confusion. "But I never said the word kids. I said that you would both make a family in this house." he tells her.

She groans and throws her head back, "and to Mateo that means kids. He is out there panicking right now and that's not what I want. We are taking things slowly and at his pace. So, please, no more talk about making families. Okay?" he nods with a small frown.

"Okay." he agrees.

Les claps his hands together and grins, "now that you've settled that, how about I go and help Mateo whilst the two of you go get us some grub. I'm losing my figure over here." he proposes. His children nod and quickly head out discussing various dinner options. Angelica leaves Mateo with a soft kiss on his lips as she passes by him, making sure to remind him of her love for him. She squeezes his hand reassuringly and leaves.

"What's wrong?" Les asks, he could clearly see how quiet Mateo had become since the mention of family.

Mateo shrugs and sighs, he sits himself on the edge on the back of the open van and waits for Les to join him. "I just, I want to make her happy. I no ready for a family, I-" he sighs and drops his hands. He didn't know how to ask the question that had been plaguing his mind for months. He didn't know if he could speak the words, rejection was a scary thing. Especially for him. What if he was unworthy? Could he take that kind of news?

"Mateo? Come on, man. Spit it out." Les's voice cuts through Mateo's train of thought and pulls the Spanish man back to the present.

Mateo takes a deep breath and runs a hand down his face, he knew that this was his chance to ask, especially with Angelica nowhere in sight. "Les, I-I wanted to ask you, it is of importance to me." he rambles slightly, nervous. "I wanted to ask for you blessing."