Chapter Fourteen *Edited*

The last few weeks had flown by for Angelica, she and Mateo had grown closer each and every day. He had taken to staying at her apartment a few nights a week, which was great for their relationship. He was loving and sweet towards her, always seizing any doubts that arose in her head about his loyalty.

Angelica noticed that he was a little more distant and distracted these last few days, he seemed to be off in another place mentally when she spoke with him. He always seemed to be on guard, jumping at the slightest thing. It filled her with confusion and doubt, for in her eyes he appeared to be acting guilty.

"What's the matter, pet?" Les smiles as he joins his daughter at one of the many Solana tables, they weren't far from the pool or bar. He had noticed that she had been a little quieter lately, always seeming to be worried about something. He figured it had something to do with Mateo but couldn't be completely sure.

Angelica musters a smile, "it's nothing really" her eyes meet her fathers as she fights the urge to voice her concerns, she didn't want to cause her father any worry. He smiles sadly at her "Angel, I'm your father and though I may not be the brightest bulb of the bunch, I definitely know when my children are upset or lying" he tells her, he takes her hand from across the table and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"I feel silly because I trust him, really I do... It's just lately he has been acting strange, almost suspicious and I can't help the feeling that he is hiding something from me" her eyes fall on Mateo at the bar. He looks tired and stressed as he wipes down the bar top, something he never really did. He seemed to be finding any excuse to stay busy, almost as though he was trying to avoid thinking about something.

Les smiles as he too glances to the man that was capturing his daughter's heart, "let me talk to him pet, maybe I can help ease your concerns?"

Angelica frowns but nods, feeling as though she was betraying Mateos trust in her. Her phone rings causing her to step away from the table and her father with a soft smile, "Hello?" she presses the phone to her ear.

"Hi, its Liam" a chuckle leaves her lips.

"I know, I have your caller ID." Liam mutters a quiet "oh" before informing her that she had her next client ready for their 2pm hair colouring. The appointment came as a relief to Angelica, her desperation for a light distraction was ever so high right now.

At the bar, Mateo continued his cleaning routine of the bar, a permanent frown etched on his face. He felt guilty for keeping such a huge secret from Angelica, he was betraying the trust she had in him. He still found himself checking out the female tourists but never did he have the urge to take part in more than that with them. Angelica had helped him grow, had helped him learn how to slowly love someone.

His heart broke at the thought of her hating him, or him hurting her. He knew she would eventually find out, but he wanted to tell her himself, to tell her delicately in hopes of saving their new found relationship. He still struggled with the thought of settling down and committing himself to a life with just one person, but whenever his eyes met hers, those doubts faded and all became clear. She was the one for him, she was all he would ever want and need, she had already proven that to him, the effect she had was long-term for sure.

"Mateo, are you alright man?"

Mateo shakes his head as he jumps slightly, he hadn't noticed Les join him at the bar. "My life. It is in danger," his voice is hushed and rushed, his eyes meeting his friends with complete fear embedded in them. Les frowns deeply at his words, his concerns growing for his daughter "what do you mean?" Mateo glances around before gesturing for Les to come further behind the bar, away from any prying eyes or ears.

"My mother in law is crazy, she wants to kill me" his eyes meet Les's outraged glare, clearly, he had misjudged his friend's reaction to his words.

Les is beyond angry as he stares back at Mateo "your married?! Next you're going to tell me that you're a father too!" Mateo nods guiltily.

"Si, four."

His thoughts drift to his children, they had never really bonded with him so it wasn't hard to think of the possibility of leaving them, but another part of him knew he loved them and needed to have them in his life. He wanted to be a better father, and a better man. Angelica opened something inside him, she had made him want to grow as a human being.

Les takes a deep breath as he tries to calm himself enough to allow Mateo to explain, then if needed he could kick his skinny ass into next week. "You have three minutes to explain or I'm going to kill you myself!" Mateo nods as he gulps, the fury in Les's eyes is enough for Mateo to know that he meant every word. Mateo sighs as he seats himself on a stool, his eyes are glued to the floor as he explains himself.

"I am married to a woman named Daria; we have four children. I only married her because she was pregnant and I was afraid of her crazy mother, Dolores," Les nods urging for him to continue "my life at home is horrible, I tried to leave many times but her mother always threatens to kill me."

Les sighs rubbing his face "and Angelica?"

Mateo frowns deeper at the use of her name "she is in danger, Dolores knows about us, she wishes to kill us both and spit on our graves" his accent was stronger than ever as he desperately spoke with Les. A shiver ran through Mateo's spine at the thought of his monster in law, "I will no let this happen" he looks confidently to Les as he silently begs for him to keep his secret. Les shakes his head as he opens his mouth to speak, only to be cut off by someone sniffling.

The two men turn, there she stood, her eyes red and full of tears that had yet to fall. Her eyes meet Mateo's as she chokes out her words "your married with children?" her eyes fall to her father's face, her pain was clearer than the water in the pool.

"Angelica, I can explain." her hand raised as she cut him off.

"You already have, and no you don't have to leave your family for me. I'm not yours to choose anymore." Her heart breaks further as she speaks the words she had always feared.

"I can't believe I ever trusted a snake like you. Your mother in law has a right to be angry with you, you put my life in danger with your selfishness! Your poor wife and children deserve better. I deserve better." her eyes fall to the floor as her father steps forward to take her hand, she pulls away "don't!"

Les frowns as she walks away sobbing furiously, he had never seen his daughter so hurt. "You need to go end that toxic marriage and figure out what you want Mateo because you're playing with my daughters heart right now."

"I have already lost her" Mateo shakes his head as tears pool in his eyes.

"Then you win her back, show her what she means to you. Keep my daughter safe."

Mateo nods as he leaves the bar "I'll cover your shift, go!" Les pushes Mateo out from behind the bar behind sighing sadly, how would he convince Angelica that Mateo cared for her. That despite all his past mistakes, he was now trying to make them right, not for himself, but for her.