ACT III : PART I

FALLEN FROM REALITY

It had been a month. Sam felt the loneliest he'd ever felt in his life. He had cut himself off from the world. The only time he came out was for a case or to help Hughes with and errand or two. He'd gone out for a drink with Mr Hudson a few times but it always ended in them both lying on Samuel's bed talking about sad things. They'd actually grown quite close after- he should call him Noland really, told him about his break up with a Naria. Turns out Yates was behind that two because he wanted Noland to work more.

Everything seemed to just be getting worse. He'd hit rock bottom and he just kept digging.

The receptionist popped her head into his and Hughes joint office. "There's an announcement in the main area." She told them. Sam sighed and dragged himself over. He stood by Noland and Hughes and watched as Yates stood atop a table to tell the department the news. "I have great news to share! The information came straight from Interpol today!" He said excitedly. "The Mafia you all know, the Thorn's Mafia released a statement to the world today and we managed to intercept the message to a local shop we now know is very illegally run." He took a breath in. "Alpha two, Daniel Hansen had been confirmed dead as of 11:24 yesterday night." There were cheers and clapping. A king of the enemy had fallen! It was time to celebrate, but Sam's world turned upside down. His knees caved in immediately. His ears rang. Hughes and Hudson grabbed him by the arms and quietly removed him from the cheering crowds.

It had to be false. Another one of Yates ways of hurting Sam. He would feel it. He would feel if he was dead surely. Hughes hated it. Sam was like a son to him and his wife and seeing him suffer before and now knowing what was coming next was gut wrenching. "Just hold on a little longer." Hughes tried to tell him but he made no sense. Sam stared ahead of him, anger filling him. "He's not dead!" He screamed. "He's not! I would know!" Noland put a hand over his mouth not knowing how to quiet him. Hughes sighed and retrieved something from his pocket. It was a letter addressed to Samuel but had no address. "I wasn't going to give it to you but since Yates..." he just handed him the letter.

Sam opened it with trembling hands.

Dear Mr Mason,

I am writing to inform you that Alpha two is deceased. There will be no funeral as it is not to our traditions. I frankly know little about you or your relationship with Alpha two but was informed the letter of acknowledgement was to go to you.

Funds will be transferred to your account. Best wishes for your life.

Alpha One- Kristen Thorn

Samuel gasped at the letter. There was only ever one letter of acknowledgement and they were only given out by Alpha one in the case of a hard working Alpha's death. This warmed Sam's heart a bit knowing Daniel's work didn't go unseen. Though it didn't fill the confusion in his mind as he grasped the letter close to his chest. "He's dead."

I AM NOT DEAD

~A month ago~
Hughes was a man of pride, honour and family. He was older then he looked and though he never said his age, he was old enough that the line between good and bad wasn't always a straight one.

He was sitting at the table with his wife Shirley one night when the front door opened. Hughes got up in alarm but when he saw the pleasing sight of Daniel Hansen he relaxed somewhat. "Shirley dear I need to have a conversation with this man." He told her kindly. She smiled at the visitor and left to go upstairs to her home studio.

"Your wife is beautiful." He told Hughes who nodded in agreement. "What can I do for you Mr Hansen?" He asked. Hughes looked Daniel up and down. His tie was loose, his shirt freshly tucked, red puffy eyes. "That problem I'm having with a Nathan Yates. I'm going to have to do something I really want to do... but I can't." He told him. "What's happened to Samuel?" Hughes asked immediately. Daniel waved his hand. "Nothing, Yates forced him to break up with me. He came home shouting at me and I got him to leave so I could listen to Johnathan- my Betas recording." He explained. Hughes shook his head. "How?" Daniel placed a device on the table and pressed play.