House on Fire ⋙ t w e n t y e i g h t

Katherine's heart was in her throat. She knew that this was going to go over very well with some people, but she also knew that her parents were going to be disappointed in her and her choices. She and Shane strode into the dining area side by side, hands still locked. Katherine was instantly aware of the eyes on the new couple. Andrea sighed and rolled her eyes, Dale looked concerned, Carol smiled that knowing grin of hers, and Glenn just kinda chuckled. But then Kat turned her head and made eye contact with her mother. Lori was not pleased, but she wasn't going to say anything. Rick on the other hand was fuming. His face was red and his blue eyes bore into Shane. Kat gulped and glanced up at Shane. He cast a look down at her and squeezed her hand. "It's going to be okay, just be confident," he whispered. Katherine nodded and continued walking to the table.

Kat sat down across from Lori and Shane sat across from Rick. Carl and Sophia were chattering and the rest of the group was mildly hungover but still trying to hold some kind of conversation. "Shane, Katherine, is there something that you would like to share with us?" Rick could hardly get the words out. He looked like he was about to suffer from a stroke. Katherine took a deep breath to calm her nerves, but before she could get anything out Shane spoke. " We have decided to pursue a relationship, Rick. Lori, Rick, I hope that you two understand." The four were silent for a moment. Nobody knew what to say. Katherine was thankful that the people around them were too busy talking to pay any attention to the conversation that was happening.

Rick was enraged. "Daddy, you don't know what it was like without you with us. Shane kept me safe." Rick was about to speak but Lori cut her husband off. "Shane, Katherine, I do not think that this is a great idea, but I know how much you two care about each other." Rick's mouth hung open at his wife's words. "Lori, are you joking right now?" Lori shook her head. "Rick, now is not the time. Our daughter is safe and happy and that's really all we can ask for right now." Katherine was a little shocked at her mom's response. There had to be an underlying motive. Shane stole a glance at Kat, equally confused. "Rick, we can all discuss this later in private. Now is not the place."

At that moment Glenn stumbled in painfully hungover. Rick tossed him some Advil that Jenner had given to the group. People were talking about eggs and other breakfast foods but it was all a low hum to Katherine. Rick got up and went to help T-Dog with cooking. Shane went to go fix a cup of coffee. "Katherine." Kat looked up at her mom with a concerned look. "I'm not necessarily thrilled about this, but I understand what your reasoning is." Kat was even more confused. "Mom, are you okay?" Lori shook her head before looking around and leaning in closer. "I don't feel safe here, I feel like something is going to happen." She said with a whisper. Kat furrowed her brow. "Do you think it's just because we can actually relax for the first time in a while?" Lori shook her head. "No. I want you to go pack your things. Pack Carl's, Sophia's, and Shane's too." Kat didn't understand. "Mom I think you're overreacting." Lori sighed. "It's my intuition. It hasn't failed me once." Kat sighed and put her head in her hands. "Fine." Lori nodded. "Just stay with the group or with me, your dad, or Shane. I'm gonna talk to your daddy and you talk to Shane when you get a chance. Just be ready to run."

xxx

A/N: What a shitty chapter to come back on. Working on more tho I promise. Finally got my inspiration back.