Putting Holes In Happiness ⋙ t w e l v e

Katherine felt herself slip into a zone when she took the first walker out. She was full of anxiety and adrenaline. The feeling was similar to what she felt when she had to cheer at a competition, but this was far more urgent. Everyone was running around in a tizzy. Kat looked around and saw Jim mercilessly beating a walker with a bat. She looked over just in time to see Dale pick up a rifle and begin shooting. Carol had Sophia in her arms and both of them were crying. Katherine ran over to them and smashed a walker's head in. "Stay behind me!" Carol sobbed out a yes. Kat saw a walker take a chunk out of Amy's neck. "Amy!" She yelled in despair. Andrea ran towards her little sister right as Jim took the walker out. "No! No! Oh God! Oh my God!" Kat felt a tear slip down her cheek at the sight. She saw Lori and Carl hiding behind Shane. Shane looked around frantically for Katherine. Their eyes locked. "Katherine! Get over here!" Kat nodded and readied her bat. She looked back at Carol and Sophia. "Stay behind me!" Carol nodded through her sobs and the trio took off. Kat took another walker down before they made it to Shane, Lori, and Carl. "Stay close!" Katherine nodded. Kat looked over at Morales. He took two walkers out to protect his family. "Come on, y'all! Work your way up here!" Morales tossed a glance over and grabbed his wife. "Right in front of you. Shane!" Shane whipped his head around and shot another walker. " "Get to the RV! Go!" Morales covered his family as they ran into the RV. Katherine wanted to vomit at the carnage around her. People were being eaten alive. "Shane! Katherine!" Lori sobbed. Lori grabbed her daughter's shirt for security. "Stay with me. Stay behind me. Morales, work up here!" Kat was on the verge of passing out. Her anxiety was at peak levels. Everything around her went silent. All the eldest Grimes child could hear was the ringing in her ears. She was on autopilot. Her one goal was to keep her family and friends alive. She was pulled from her daze when she heard a gunshot from the edge of camp. She whipped her head around to see her daddy running in with Daryl, T-Dog, and Glenn. She exhaled a breath she didn't know she was holding. The four men began to take out walker after walker until they were all down. "Baby! Carl! Katherine!" "Dad!" Carl cried out as he ran to Rick. Lori ran up behind Carl and Katherine turned to Shane. She threw her arms around his neck and buried her face in his chest. She sobbed into him as he wrapped an arm around her midsection. Jim walked back to the group and sighed. Katherine's heart dropped when she heard a sob ring out across camp. It was Andrea. She was kneeling next to Amy's torn up body. "Amy. I don't know what to do, Amy. Oh, Amy. Oh no no." Tears were rolling down Andrea's face. Amy reached up and touched Andrea's cheek before her arm fell lifelessly to the ground. A brief silence washed over camp before Andrea cried out. "Amy! Amy! Amy!" Carl began to sob into Rick and it broke Katherine's heart. He was too young to see something like this. Jim turned around and glanced at Amy's body. "I remember my dream now, why I dug the holes."

xxx

Shane

Kat unraveled herself from Shane and walked over to her family. Rick hugged her close and kissed her forehead. He sent a glare to Shane and Shane sent one right back. How dare he abandon her again. Shane knew an uncomfortable discussion with him was coming up, but he didn't want to think about it right now. Shane walked over to the Grimes family to see what would be said. Rick was the first one to speak. "I think it's time that we all rest. We'll deal with this in the morning." Lori nodded and grabbed Carl's hand. "Come on, kids." Carl nodded and silently followed his mom back to the tent. Katherine, Rick, and Shane all stood there in an uncomfortable silence. Katherine was obviously still reeling from the invasion. She was blankly staring at the ground. Shane and Rick were having a stare down. If looks could kill, they would both be dead. The staring match was broken when Lori stuck her head out of the tent and called out for her husband and her daughter. "Y'all coming?" Rick nodded and grabbed Katherine's arm. When Rick pulled Kat past Shane he reached out and gave her hand a squeeze. She turned her head around and looked at him with her golden eyes. They used to shine so bright. Shane nodded at her and she nodded back. Shane soon retreated to his tent and stripped out of his clothes. He threw some sweats on and nestled into his sleeping bag. He stared up at the top of his tent, lost in thought. Shane couldn't currently pinpoint the emotions he was experiencing. He was coming down from the adrenaline rush, he was furious, and he was hurting for Katherine. It had been years since he saw her eyes look that empty. She was too innocent to see the horrors of today's world. It pissed Shane off how Lori and Rick were acting. Shane, Katherine, and Carl were all very aware that Rick and Lori were having severe marital issues before the world basically came to an end. Rick and Lori would have explosive fights right in front of Carl and Katherine. There were nights when Rick would call Shane and ask him to let the kids stay with him. They would pull up in Kat's truck visibly shaken from the scene that they had just left. Shane would get Carl to sleep and him and Kat would sit there and talk so he could get the entire story.

It was a Tuesday night when Shane's phone rang. It was Rick. "Fuck." Shane grumbled as he picked up the phone. "What's up, Brother?" His question was met with a heavy sigh. "Can the kids stay with you tonight?" Shane sighed. "Yeah. Send 'em over." "Thanks, Brother." Shane groaned. He loved Katherine and Carl, but he had a date tonight. He debated on calling and cancelling, but he didn't know if he should. Soon after, a pair of headlights shone into the windows. Kat and Carl had arrived. The siblings walked in with their backpacks and overnight bags. "Hello." Carl said, announcing their arrival. Shane produced a halfassed smile at the pair. "Carl, will you take you and your sister's bags to y'all's rooms?" Carl nodded and snatched Katherine's bag from her hand. Shane leaned on the counter and looked at Kat. "Kat, would you and Carl be okay here by yourselves? I have a date." Kat rolled her eyes and nodded at Shane. "Okay. I'll be home around 11. How bad was this one?" Kat sighed and looked at the ground. "Bad. My mom wants a divorce." Kat looked at the ground. "I feel bad for Carl. I leave for Penn State in the fall. He still has years left of this. He wants to live with dad, but mom said absolutely not." Shane sighed. "How are you?" Katherine frowned. "I'm upset. Senior night is on friday. I need someone to walk me across the field after the game is over. They were gonna do it, but that's obviously not gonna happen now." Shane's eyes lit up. Senior night was one of his favorite high school memories. "I'll do it." Kat looked up at her father's best friend. Her eyes were bloodshot from crying. "Really?" Shane nodded. "Thank you, Shane." 

Shane was pulled from his memories when he heard a hushed conversation from the Grimes' tent. It was Rick and Lori. "Rick, it's not that big of a deal!" "Yes it is, Lori. The way they look at each other is not okay!" "Shane was here to protect your daughter from that sick pig when you weren't! You know they've always been close." Shane felt his heart race. This wasn't good. He definitely had feelings for Katherine, but he couldn't let them be known. In all honesty, he knew that Rick and Lori had some sort of idea, but he didn't know to what extent. Shane continued to listen in on the conversation. "Look Rick, I didn't like it either. But you never saw how Merle looked at her!" Shane's stomach twisted into knots at the mention of Merle. He would kill that mother fucker if he ever had the chance to. "Lori, I'm not stupid. Keep an eye on them. I don't want Shane to hurt her." Shane heard a low sigh. "Fine, Rick." 

There was no more conversation, so Shane decided that it was time to try and sleep. He had no idea what to do. He adored Katherine. He thought that she was beautiful and smart and strong. He wanted her around him at all times, but now that Rick had caught on, he wasn't sure how to handle it. Hell, Shane didn't even have a clue about how Katherine felt. She had always been flirty to him, even when she went through that phase of hating him. But being flirty was something to pass the time, as Shane would know. Shane ran his hands through his curls and sighed. One way or another, no matter what Rick and Lori said, he was going to make Katherine Grimes his.

A/N: I desperately need someone to make me a cover for this story! I would greatly appreciate that.