Bury Me Deep Inside Your Heart ⋙ t w e n t y s e v e n

Katherine pulled away from the kiss after what felt like forever. Shane and Kat were breathing heavily while looking into each other's eyes. "Shane. We can't keep doing this." Shane pulled his hand from Katherine's face and leaned back on the arm of the couch. "That's what I came here to talk to you about." Kat nodded. "Well, I'm glad that we're on the same page." Shane sighed. "Katherine, I want to be with you. But we aren't getting anywhere." Kat crossed her arms. "I feel the same way, but Shane, where is there to go? We can't sneak around forever. If we want this to even have a chance of working out, someone needs to make a move." Shane huffed. "Well, Kat, it's not easy to make a move when Rick and Lori are right there. All the damn time." "So you're scared of my parents?" Shane shook his head. "No, that's not what I meant. It's just hard to know how I feel about my best friend's daughter. I don't want to betray him." Kat sighed. "But Katherine, know that I want to be with you. I want to keep you safe from everything."

 Kat was silent. She had tears forming in her eyes and her face was flushed. What a fucking way to end the night. "Look, Kat. I am willing to take this jump and the consequences if you promise me that you will be there with me. I need to know that you won't break it off with me because of backlash." Kat looked up at Shane through her lashes. "You know that I don't care about the backlash. I would've cut this off a long time ago if I did. But Shane, you need to know that I am not going to blindly support you just because we're together, or whatever. I am still loyal to my family. I need to know that you aren't going to be upset with me because I back someone other than you. Can you promise me that?" Shane nodded. "Well, Kat, I know I've said it a million times tonight, but I'm going to say it again. I want to be with you. Will you be mine?" Kat smiled and crawled towards Shane, wrapping her arms around his waist and placing her head on his chest. "Yes Shane, you know I will." Shane bent down and kissed her head. Kat smiled and curled deeper into him.

xxx

Neither Katherine nor Shane remembered falling asleep but both were woken up by Sophia's little voice. "Miss Kat! It's time to get up!" Katherine's gold eyes fluttered open at the sound. Shane stirred beneath her. "Hi, Sophia. Good morning." Kat smiled sleepily at the little girl. "I'm hungry. Do you think that we can eat?" Katherine pushed herself off of Shane and he sat up with Katherine, rubbing his face trying to wake up. "I definitely think that we can, Sophia. Is Carl still asleep?" Sophia nodded. "Why does he snore so loud?" Katherine and Shane both chuckled at her. Shane squeezed Kat's hand. "Ah, young love!" Sophia blushed. "No sir!" Shane laughed harder. "Relax, Sophia. I'm just teasing you." The little girl smiled gently at Shane. "Shane, you should go wake Carl up." Shane nodded and pushed himself off of the couch. He walked over to the little fort that Katherine helped the kids craft the night before and crawled inside.

Kat and Sophia both giggled at Carl groaning. Shane's voice rang out from the tent. "C'mon, Little Man. Time for breakfast." Carl darted out of the tent while rubbing the sleep from his eyes. Shane soon followed while laughing. "Your brother is just like his daddy. Slow as hell unless there's food involved." Kat giggled at him. "That's for damn sure." 

Kat shooed Sophia along after Carl and she herself followed. Shane walked up next to her and grabbed her hand. Katherine smiled at him, feeling safe next to him. He leaned down and kissed the top of her head. Shane led the way out of the room and down the hallway. The couple were very aware of the stares that they were receiving from a few members of the group, but they chose to ignore it. Katherine personally didn't care to hear what the other members of the group had to say. Most of them suspected that something was going on, but everyone was too busy with their own issues and trying to survive to really care about it. I mean, after all, it took forever for anyone to confront Ed about the abuse he was doling out to Carol and Sophia.

With all of this being said, Katherine was nervous to officially make this public to her mom, dad, and Carl. She knew that this would only amplify the tension between Shane and Rick. It was currently at an all time high, but she couldn't imagine what this would do to the relationship. Before, Rick could almost ignore it. Shane and Kat rarely interacted and when they did, they were hidden or acting normal. The couple being blatantly out and in his face was going to be a new and interesting type of hell. 

Lori was a different story. She was completely opposed to this at first, and probably still was, but Lori was always more lenient when it came to Katherine's romantic life. But who was to say that she wouldn't completely blow her top once it was all out in the open? Carl's reaction was also going to be interesting. She wasn't sure if her brother was aware that there was actually something going on between the two. Of course he had caught her and Shane in a few compromising situations, before the camp and at the camp, but she had no idea how much he had actually retained. 

The new couple walked into the dining hall and paused. Shane squeezed her hand and sighed. "Here we go, Baby. Here we go." 

xxx

A/N: Hey y'all. I can't believe how many people are reading this story! I was thinking about doing some kind of giveaway when this story reaches 100k views! Would y'all be interested in anything like that? Let me know in the comments!