Use Your Fist & Not Your Mouth ⋙ n i n e

Shane felt anger course through his body when Ed's hand connected with Carol's face. That poor woman deserved so much more. Shane was jogging over to the scene, but he stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Kat punch Ed's chest. Fuck. Shane watched as Ed cocked back and decked Katherine as hard as he could. Kat stumbled back in a daze and Shane took off. There was no way in hell Ed was going to get away with this. Shane grabbed Ed and pulled him away. He was deaf to the women screaming around him. Shane began to lay into Ed. Ed was demanding that he be let go, but that wasn't happening. Shane threw Ed to the ground and began to beat his face in. The women were pleading for him to stop and Carol was crying for Ed. Ed was now dripping with blood and his face would surely be mutilated after this incident. Shane was content to keep going until he heard Katherine's voice begging him to stop. "Shane, please! That's enough! Just stop!" She was crying. Shane snapped back into reality at this point. He dropped down to where just Ed could hear him. "You put your hands on your wife, your little girl, or my girl ever again, I won't stop. Do you understand? I won't stop next time." "Yes." Shane had murder in his eyes. "I will beat you to death, Ed." Carol was screaming her husband's name as Shane hit him one last time. He stood up and kicked his stomach before walking over to a bloodied Katherine. "Lets go." He demanded as he grabbed her arm.

Shane was storming back to camp with Katherine in tow. "Shane, are you okay?" He didn't answer. "Shane. Are you okay?" Katherine asked with a little more force. Shane stopped dead in his tracks and whipped his head around to look at her. "Yes, Kat, I'm fine. I'm furious, but I'm fine." He saw the fear in her eyes and he took a breath. The last thing he wanted to do was to scare her. Shane took a step towards Kat and pulled her into his body. "I'm just trying to protect you." Katherine wrapped her arms around Shane's midsection and buried her face in his chest. "Shane, you're always trying to protect me. It does more harm than good sometimes." Shane sighed and rested his chin on the top of Katherine's head. He knew exactly what she was talking about.

xxx

It was a friday evening and there were two weeks left until summer vacation. Rick was in the hospital and Lori slept there most nights. Katherine would take Carl to go visit after school for a few hours and then the siblings would head home. Lori was nervous for the two to be alone, so she asked Shane to move in for a little while. This was the biggest annoyance Kat had ever had and she was not happy about it at all. In all honesty, Shane wasn't that bad to live with. Kat was just frustrated that Lori didn't trust her to take care of Carl.

Katherine danced around her room as she got dressed. She was going on a group date with Tyler and a couple of their friends before everyone went their separate ways for college. She slipped on a red crop top and some ripped jeans. More dancing went on. How to be a Heartbreaker by Marina and the Diamonds was blasting and she was having a grand time. She would occasionally take a break to respond to the group chat. In between dancing and texting she managed to throw on some makeup and curl her hair. She placed a choker around her neck and slipped on her signature ring. Rick bought it for her first day of college and she was hardly ever seen without it. Katherine looked down at the ring and smiled. She was brought out of her thoughts when she saw headlights pulling into the driveway. She looked out and saw that it was Shane. Fuck. She had neglected to tell Shane she was going out. She assumed that she could just leave before he came home. It's not like she was leaving Carl alone as he was at a friend's house. Kat sighed when she heard the front door open. She hoped he would go take a shower or something so she could slip away with Tyler. "Kat, Carl! I'm home!" Kat turned off her music and cracked her door open. "Shane! Carl is at his friend's house!" "I forgot! Do you wanna grab dinner?" Shane yelled back at the brunette. A couple of curse words were mumbled under Katherine's breath. She chose to pretend that she didn't hear him and silently shut her door. Katherine slipped on some pumps right as Tyler texted her, signaling his arrival. She walked out of her room and down the stairs when she heard the front door open again. Kat tried to sneak down the stairs, but it was impossible in her heels. She was met with the sight of Shane and Tyler speaking at the front door. "I didn't give her permission to go out." Kat rolled her eyes. "C'mon man! You aren't her dad. You're just a dick! Come on Kat!" Katherine was a little irritated with both of the men. They were both being assholes. "You can leave, young man." Shane slammed the door in Tyler's face. "Shane! What the fuck!" Shane whipped around to look at Katherine. "You didn't ask my permission to go! And I sure as fuck wouldn't let you out dressed like that!" Shane yelled while motioning at Katherine. "Shane! It's not fair! I'm almost 18! Let me go out!" Shane put his hands on his hips and shook his head. "No ma'am. Now go change. We're staying in tonight." Kat rolled her eyes into another dimension and tossed her head back. "Stop it with the attitude, Katherine. I'm just trying to protect you from that boy." Kat was shocked by this. He never used her full name. She knew that there was no use in arguing so she ran upstairs to change. She slipped out of everything and threw on some sweats and a tank. Katherine texted a quick apology to Tyler and sulked downstairs.

xxx

Shane pulled away from the embrace. "Okay. I'll admit it. That time I was just being a dick." Kat laughed a little. "I'm glad you've come to terms with that. So honestly, how bad do I look?" Shane put his hands on his hips and grimaced while sighing. Katherine's eyes grew with worry. "Shane! Really?" Shane erupted with laughter. Kat sighed and relaxed a little. "What the hell!?" Shane was doubled over with laughter at this point. "C'mon, Princess! Why do you let me wind you up like that?" Kat teared up a little. She was in pain and not in the mood for Shane to be making jokes about her face. Shane wiped a tear from his eye and noticed that Kat was tearing up. "Princess, don't cry! I'm joking! You're still just as beautiful. You just got a bloody nose and fat lip." Kat sniffled a little and crossed her arms. Shane rolled his eyes at her and wrapped her in a hug. "You're so dramatic, Princess." Kat pulled away from Shane and wiped her eyes. "I'm getting blood on your shirt." Shane chuckled. "Lets get you back to camp and get you cleaned up. You're gonna be okay. That sick bastard will never lay another hand on you." Shane grabbed her hand and began to walk back to camp. "You gotta learn to keep your attitude in check, Baby Girl. You got a smart mouth." Kat rolled her eyes at Shane. "You're one to talk." Shane feigned shock and Katherine laughed. "Me!?" Shane questioned, eyes the sides of dinner plates. "Yes, you. Now lets go. I want this blood off of me." Shane laughed and the duo walked back to camp.