Pity Party ⋙ s e v e n

Kat was emotional when Rick left. Well, emotional is a large understatement. Kat said her goodbyes to her father and then had to fight herself to keep it together. There was a lot going on, but it was all very hazy for the Grimes child. She felt like she was in a dream. She watched as Rick spoke with Jim and Shane. The former partners exchanged something which Katherine assumed was ammunition. Daryl honked and Rick gave a final wave before loading himself into the van. Katherine couldn't hold it in anymore and wandered off into the family tent. As soon as she was inside tears began pouring down her cheeks. I can't lose daddy. In the middle of her meltdown she heard the tent open. She turned and saw that it was her mother and Carl. "Are you okay?" Lori asked her daughter. "No, but I know that I have to be." Lori nodded and sat down next to her. Katherine reached out and patted the ground on her other side, signaling Carl to come join. "You two, I'm willing to be that they'll be just fine." Kat smiled a bit and wiped some of the tears off of her face. "Why are y'all worried? I'm not." Carl boldly stated. "Oh yeah? Why is that?" His older sister asked. "Because. Think of everything that's happened to him so far. Nothing has killed him yet." Lori chuckled and Katherine smiled. "I guess you're right, bubba."

xxx

After the little family meeting Katherine needed some fresh air. She stepped out of the tent into the awkward air of the camp. Everyone was on edge and Kat couldn't handle the stress of it right now. She poked her head into the tent and told Carl that she was gonna go to her area by the lake. "Be safe." Carl mumbled to his big sister. "Yes, Dad." Katherine responded with a giggle. "Just don't let mom freak out." Carl nodded and Katherine took off. She said hello to the few people she passed and went on her way. "Baby Girl! Wait up!" A small smile formed on Kat's face and her cheeks flushed. The girl turned around and caught sight of Shane jogging up to her. "Where ya goin', Princess?" Kat rolled her eyes at Shane. "Well, I'm going to decompress for a little while. I need some time to myself." Shane smirked and rolled his eyes. "Well, I'm going with you." Kat groaned. "Don't pretend you aren't excited, Baby Girl." Kat rolled her eyes and began to walk away. She really wanted some space to cry, but Shane obviously wasn't gonna let that happen. Shane jogged to catch up to her and he slung an arm around her shoulders. " Kat, I promise your dad is gonna be just fine. Don't fret." Kat felt her eyes swell with tears and she sighed. "I can't help it Shane. I already thought I lost him once. What if it's real this time?" Shane dropped his arm from her shoulders and grabbed her hand. Kat didn't make an attempt to stop him, but she did keep moving. She wanted to get to her ledge for some privacy. The duo came up on her safe space rather quickly and Katherine plopped down on the ground and patted the space next to her. "Sit down, Shane." Shane smirked and complied. "So Shane," Katherine started, tears in her eyes. "Why are you so nice to me?" Shane cocked a brow and looked at the girl. "What do you mean?" Katherine sighed and looked down. "I've been awful to you for the past couple of years. I've been a total bitch, but you still go out of your way to keep me safe and to socialize with me." Shane smiled a bit and looked at his best friend's daughter. "Well, you're completely right. You've been a huge bitch. With that being said, do you remember your sixteenth birthday?" Katherine took a shaky breath and nodded. That was one of the best days of my life.

Today was the day. Katherine Grimes was finally 16. Tomorrow she would be taking her drivers test and she would finally have a little bit of freedom. She couldn't wait. The brunette bounded out of her room and made her way downstairs. Every year on her birthday Katherine was allowed to stay home from school. Normally this was fantastic for the girl, but today was a different story. Rick was out of town for a conference. This was obviously disappointing, but at least Katherine would have Lori and Carl, right? Wrong. Carl was stuck at school and Lori had made plans with a couple of her friends that she 'just couldn't cancel.' Kat sighed and plopped down on the couch. What to do? All of her friends were at school and her family was busy. Today was gonna suck. Katherine began to scroll through the various birthday wishes posted on her Facebook wall when her phone buzzed in her hand. It was a text from Shane. 'Be dressed and ready to go in an hour. We've got a big day ahead of us.' Katherine was slightly confused. Shane always made a point to wish her a happy birthday, but they had never done anything to celebrate by themselves. With that being said, Kat wasn't gonna spend the day moping. She was gonna make the best of it with Shane. She ran upstairs and jumped in the shower and began to get ready for her day. 

When Katherine was finally ready Shane was waiting for her downstairs. "Jesus, Katherine. I said an hour. Not an hour and a half." Kat rolled her big, gold eyes. "Whatever, Shane." Shane smirked and Katherine felt her knees go weak. "Get in the car. Lets go." "Where are we going?" "You'll see." 

After what seemed like forever Katherine and Shane pulled up to Six Flags. Katherine's eyes lit up. "Shane really?" An excited Katherine asked. Shane smiled and nodded. "I took you here when you were six. I promised I'd bring you back one day." Kat smiled. "Oh, yeah. I was too small for most of the rides." Shane chuckled. "Yes ma'am. Who would I be if I went back on that promise?" Katherine smiled and threw her arms around Shane's neck. "You're the best."

"I remember us going on that one roller coaster, the Boomerang I think, and it got stuck. We were up there for hours." Katherine giggled a little. Shane let out a booming laugh. "That was a trip. It was hot as hell." Katherine nodded in agreement. "Do you still have the picture we took on the Superman ride?" Shane nodded. "I sure do, Princess." Katherine halfheartedly rolled her eyes at his nickname for her. Now would be a good time to bring up the fact that he blatantly lied to my face. Katherine took a deep breath to calm her nerves. She didn't want to come off in an accusatory way. Shane looked over at her and cocked a brow. "Whats the matter, Baby Girl?" Kat felt her cheeks flush a light pink and she sighed. "I need to talk to you about something." Shane nodded and swallowed hard. "Why did you tell us that Dad was dead." Shane's eyes fell to the ground and he sighed. Katherine licked her lips. She was very hurt about this whole situation. Shane hung his head for a second and then brought it back up. "Well-" Shane was cut off by the sound of footsteps. The duo exchanged a look and then glanced around. Katherine was relieved to say the least when Carl and Sophia jogged out of the woods. "Whats up, Bubba." The two kids were flushed from running. "Uh, Shane, you told me you were gonna help me catch frogs." Shane grinned and Katherine glanced over with a confused look. Shane chuckled a bit. "I'll tell ya later, Princess." Katherine nodded. It was Sophia's turn to speak. "Ms. Kat, Mommy and the other ladies need a little bit of help with the laundry." Kat smiled at Sophia. She was such a sweetheart. "I think I can do that. We best get going, huh Shane?" Shane smiled. "I think you're right, Ms. Kat." Katherine blushed and rolled her eyes. Shane stood up and stuck a hand out for Katherine. She grabbed it and he pulled her up. Carl and Sophia were already heading off to camp and Shane went to follow, but Katherine stopped him. "You're not off the hook yet, Shane. I want an answer later." Shane was a little shocked by her tone of voice and it was painted all over his face. "Yes ma'am." He mumbled. Katherine smiled and stood up on her toes to plant a kiss on his cheek.