Dirt ⋙ t e n

Katherine and Shane finally got back to camp and cleaned one another up. The afternoon was relatively calm besides Lori freaking out over Katherine. She spent about an hour crying and talking about what Rick was going to do to Ed. Everyone was doing their own things and the camp generally had a very relaxed atmosphere. Amy and Andrea were fishing and Dale was on watch. After the altercation with Ed, Kat had grown a little more respect for Andrea. She felt as if they had each other's backs, and it felt nice. Kat was sitting with Carl and Sophia while they played. She was exhausted after the fight and she was doing everything she could to keep her big, gold eyes open. She turned her head to look at Dale on the RV. He was staring at something through his binoculars. That's weird. He never looks this worried. Is there a walker nearby? "Carl, Sophia, stay here for a second. Don't move. I'll be right back." "Yes, Ms. Kat." Katherine jogged over to the RV and climbed up the ladder. "Dale, whats wrong? Is there a walker?" Dale slowly took the binoculars away from his face and handed them to Katherine. "No. But look at Jim over there." Kat arched a brow and brought the binoculars to her eyes. What she saw made her very nervous. Jim was out in the brush just digging hole after hole. Kat slowly dropped the binoculars from her face and handed them back to Dale. "What the hell?" Dale was still concerned as well. "Stay up here and keep watch. I'm going to go check on him." "Yes sir." Dale climbed down the RV and made his way over to Jim. Katherine heard some little footsteps coming up to her. She looked down and saw Carl and Sophia looking back at her. "Kat! What're you doing?!" Carl asked. "I'm just helping Dale out for a second."When are you coming back to play with us, Ms. Kat?" Katherine smiled down at Sophia. "Soon, honey. Go play with Mom, okay?" The two children nodded and ran off to go find Lori. 

Dale had made his way back and relieved Kat of her watch duties. She was now sitting with Lori and Carl. The trio was just kind of relaxing like they did before the world went to hell. Katherine looked up to see Amy and Andrea walking back with a ton of fish. Morales stood up with an excited look on his face. "Oh, baby. Will you look at that? Hey, check it out. Ladies... Because of you my children will eat tonight. Thank you." Amy and Andrea both looked proud, as they should. "Thank Dale. It's his canoe and gear." Carl's face lit up at the sight of all of the fish. "Mom, Kat, look at all of that fish!" "Thank you." Lori and Katherine chorused. "Whoa!" Katherine chuckled. Whenever Rick took the siblings fishing, they never really caught anything. This was probably very intense for the youngest Grimes and it was one of the sweetest things Katherine had ever seen. Lori was pretty excited about it too. "Where did you two ladies learn to do this?" Amy smiled. "Our dad." Carl's smile never fell. Rick was very black and white about the whole situation. He found it annoying to teach all the knots, so he just did them all for the siblings. "Can you teach me?" Amy nodded. "Sure, if that's okay." Lori smiled. "You won't catch me complaining." Lori chuckled as Carl's face began to glow. "Hey Dale!" Andrea yelled up at the RV. "When was the last time you oiled those line reels? They're a disgrace!" Dale turned around, still looking concerned. "I don't want to alarm anyone, but we may have a problem." Shane walked up at this point with an inquisitive look on his face. Dale pointed over at Jim and Kat sighed. He still hadn't stopped.

The whole camp got up and made their way over to Jim. Shane was the first one to speak. "Hey, Jim. Jim, why don't you hold up, all right? Just give me a second here, please." Jim looked pissed off at the interruption. "What do you want?" Shane crossed his arms. "We're all just a little concerned, thats all." Morales stepped up next to Shane and spoke. "Dale and Katherine said you've been out here for hours." "So?" Jim questioned. "So why are you digging? Are you heading to China, Jim?" Kat rolled her eyes. Now was not the time for Shane to be an asshole. "What does it matter? I'm not hurting anyone." "Yeah, except maybe yourself. It's a hundred degrees today. You can't keep this up." "Sure I can. Watch me." Lori took her hands off of Carl's shoulders and shoved him towards Katherine. "Jim, they're not gonna say it so I will. You're scaring people. You're scaring my son and Carol's daughter." Jim was getting more and more irritated with each comment. "We think that you need to take a break, okay? Why don't you go and get yourself in the shade? Some food maybe. I'll tell you what... maybe in a little bit I'll come out here and help you myself. Jim, just tell me what it's about. Why don't you just go ahead and give me that shovel?" Jim was boiling now. "Or what?" "There is no or what. I'm asking you. I'm coming to you and I'm asking you, please. I don't want to have to take it from you." Katherine could see Shane getting more and more pissed off as well. This wasn't going to go well at all. "And if I don't, then what? Then you're gonna beat my face in like Ed Peletier, aren't you? Y'all seen his face, huh? What's left of it. See, now that's what happens when someone crosses you." Kat shrank back, not wanting attention on her. "That was different, Ed. He hurt someone that I care about." Amy spoke up for the first time. "You weren't there. Ed was out of control. He was hurting his wife. He hit Katherine." "That is their marriage. That is not his. Katherine hit him first from what I heard. He was just defending himself. Shane is not judge and jury. Who voted you king boss, huh?" Kat teared up at the comment. Her lips had stopped swelling but she was still in an immense amount of pain. Shane looked back at Katherine and frowned. Lori walked over to comfort her daughter. She leaned over and began to whisper. "You did nothing wrong, Katherine. Don't let him bother you." Things were about to get very serious. "Jim, I'm not here to argue with you, all right? Just give me the shovel, okay?"  Shane was trying to grab the shovel from Jim. "No, no, no!" "Jim!" Jim swung the shovel at Shane. Kat bit her lip and pulled Carl into her. Shane lunged and tackled Jim to the ground. "Okay, shh shh." "You got no right!" Shane was still trying to calm Jim. "Stop!" "You got no right!" "Jim, just stop it. Hey hey hey hey." "Don't!" Shane was now handcuffing Jim while kneeling over him. "Jim. Jim, nobody's gonna hurt you. You hear me? Shh. Jim, nobody is gonna hurt you, okay?" Jim's voice became very low and somber as he spoke. "That's a lie. That's the biggest lie there is. I told that to my wife and my two boys. I said it 100 times. It didn't matter. They came out of nowhere. There were dozens of 'em. Just pulled 'em right out of my hands. You know, the only reason I got away was 'cause the dead were too busy eating my family." Katherine teared up and clamped a hand over her mouth to stop her from crying. Carl held her hand as tight as he could and Lori looked on with sadness written all over her face. Katherine had a sinking feeling in her stomach. She just felt as if something horrific was going to happen very soon. In today's world, that was a real possibility.