Day

That evening, I flung myself on the couch and flipped on the evening news. Tonight, Anden was supposedly going to give his marriage proposal live to the whole country. Ugh. A jealous thought at the back of my head thought he was going to say June.
June is mine! I thought rather selfishly. The beginning of the report seemed slower than ever. I just wanted to hear Anden's little "proposal". Finally, the screen changed to show Anden standing at a podium. About time, I thought.

"Hello, Republic of America" Anden started

I rolled my eyes.

"Tonight, I come to announce not my marriage proposal, as you were all thinking, but-"

I paused the live stream. What is he talking about? I unpaused it.

"-to announce the start of a competition. To become... My wife."

My mouth dropped open.

"Now I know, the princeps elect is technically my wife, but we have changed around some things, and we will hold a competition. 3 girls will be chosen to enter. Here are the participants."

He pulled out a piece of paper and I felt a knot form in my stomach. I knew what was coming, I knew. I hoped not, but I knew.

"Ruby Woodsweet"

A picture of her popped up on the screen. She wasn't nearly as beautiful as June.

"Esther Romero, and finally..."

Anden looked straight up into the camera, as if looking directly at me.

"June... I-iparis" Anden seemed a little shaky.

A picture of her appeared on the screen, right next to Anden. She had her hair in a sleek, high ponytail and her uniform on. June. June.

"NO" I screamed at nobody.