Chapter Eleven - Altruism

Chapter Eleven – Altruism 

My head hurt pretty badly. I didn’t know where I was or what was going on for a long time as I struggled to recollect the events of the day that had gotten me here. It was actually rather hard for me to remember who I was for a moment.

I remembered my mother and her long blond hair, curly after a day out at the salon with a few of her girlfriends. She was so pretty looking down at me, the bright yellow sun making her hair glow like she was an angel. She was probably the kindest and most beautiful woman on the planet and I was lucky enough to have her as my mom.

She picked me up and never allowed her smile to waiver. The grass was so green it was almost fictional. Around me, the trees were moving in the wind lightly as tiny puff balls floated around us. I used to think they were fairies. Dad tried to explain what they really were but mom wanted me to believe that they were fairies.

We walked through the hard to a swing dad had set up for us. There was a big won for mom and a little one with a strap for me. She laughed as she pushed off and watched me kick my little legs up and down. I was so distracted by the laughter that it took me a while to see dad in the window smiling and shaking his head at how silly we had been. When mom saw she blew him a kiss with her light pink lips and sneezed a bit. She had seasonal allergies. I had always thought it was funny.

Dad was a pretty good looking guy too I guess. I got his black hair and he usually had all the single moms at school staring him down. Mom didn’t care though. She knew that dad and her were set in the stars. They were also very old fashioned. I never knew why my parents seemed so much more traditional than everyone else, spoke more eloquently and seemed fascinated by the smallest thing. It was like they were characters from a novel. It was fascinating as a kid to watch your parents eyes like up just as yours had during a movie. I felt so connected to them.

I knew my parents loved me. They really loved me so much. You know the feeling right? When your heart gets all warm and fuzzy and you just want to snuggle up on the couch and watch movies or play games and just be with your family? There is something magical about the love of those close to you.

Uncle Connor stuck up behind me and pushed me really high into the air. I giggled hysterically as I watched him fly out from under me and make a silly face. I was so excited that the uncles were here. They were the coolest guys ever. They always brought me presents and told me stories about their adventures. I remember them being the ones to beg my mom for five more minutes before bed time and not myself.

They had brought me shark teeth from the Caribbean this time. It was another great add to my collection. I quickly pushed my way from the strap and swing, ran to the item and then jetted for my room like a crazy rabbit. Through the front door, through Dr. Wilcox and dad talking about grown up stuff, down the steps and to my room and into the little closet where I kept all my treasures.

The chest it was all in was an actual chest that once held buried gold. My Uncle Marx told me he technically wasn’t supposed to have it so my keeping it was a secret and it was special, just between us guys. I opened it up to find the faces of all my favorite superheroes, some of the odd trinkets I had found and the ones my uncles had brought and some other weird kid-related collectibles.

I sat the little tooth next to a picture of my family I had drawn days before that my mommy thought was especially wonderful. She started to cry once she had seen it. That was how I knew it was a good one, when she cried.

To the left going right was my dad, my mom and me. We were next to a car with luggage on the top like always as we never stopped moving. Above us was a big yellow sun, like that which always illuminated my mom’s pretty hair, the clouds that always stunned my father when it rained, and a black haired angel with a P on her chest.