Chapter Five - The Thirst

After having dismissed myself from the table without a word, my mother and father chased me down the hall and tried their best to beg, threaten and plead me out of my holding cell. At least a cell was what it felt like. I found myself emotionless and lying back on my bed without a thought in the world.

My mind was blank. It was in total darkness. No one could have broken me from this deep slumber my emotions seems to have gone into. I was surrounded by liars. They had taken from me my youth with this never-ending hunt for the more important and superior Alexander child.

What was the point? Why did they need me? It was clear now that I had seen her. Now that she was appearing only to me I knew they needed me to find her. I was suddenly important and worth something. But what about after they found her.

My mind continued on with thoughts like these until the sound of movement in the corner of my room caught my attention. I sat up to find that the very coal heating the flames within was sitting atop the dresser I’d knocked over before.

Pandora was sitting there watching me fume. I didn’t know how long she had been there but she wasn’t as carefree and cheerful as she had been before. There was no smile or playful grin. She was the enemy and I knew that she knew that. She could see it. I had been seething and it was thick in the air.

“You look different.” She stated as she stood and crossed her arms over her chest. I laid back again and shut my eyes.

“Go away.” I stated simply. I could hear her steps growing closer only making me angrier.

“The first bit of advice I give you and it is down the drain the first chance you get. I would have expected more from my own flesh and blood.”

I stood up and got into her face. Unlike most of the men I had challenged in my life, she did not back down or even flinch with fear. On the contrary, her arms uncrossed and she took stance before me. I smirked and shook my head.

“Don’t you dare pretend like you know me!”

“Oh, but I do! I know every meat head like you. Poor little boy is so sad he is no longer the focus of attention. And now you sit here and pout because your life is so hard. Guess what, you grew up with a family and people who loved you. I know for a fact that these people supported you your whole life!”

“In your shadow!” I retorted, “It doesn’t mean shit if it was all just temporary as they waited for their princess in shining armor to come back and be placed up on a pedestal!”

She laughed shaking her head and turning. I didn’t know what had amused her so but I didn’t like her attitude for one second.

“Look at me when I talk to you!” I shouted. I grabbed her shoulder to turn her to find that her eyes were now glowing this yellow color. She pushed me back and I flew into the bed. I was shocked at first but then the rage overtook me.

I charged Pandora again but she easily moved out of my way, my head crashing into the same dresser causing it to shatter at the force. This was the first time since middle school I had managed to fight through the rage and remember what it was that was happening. I was in control of my sight but not my actions.

Something inside of me now wanted to stop but the fire was consuming me. I was pouring gas onto the flame. Again, I charged at her, this time with a swing which just missed her nose. She used her boot to trip me and I fell into the opposing corner near the door.

“What do you want from me?” I shouted in frustration, blood boiling and my fists swinging.

Every attempt I made had failed. She was like an expert in hand to hand combat and it was infuriating. And instead of stopping, gathering a level head and trying to talk the situation out, I only grew more upset. I was thirsting for their blood. I wanted her gone… forever.