Chapter Nine - Bite The Dust

Chapter Nine – Bite The Dust

I sat in the hall outside of the medical ward while everyone fussed over Connor. It was hard enough pretending to care that he was in a coma but with everyone watching me, asking me questions on how it happened, I just needed some air.

Instead I sat with my elbows at my knees and rubbed my forehead. It helped clear my thoughts and go into a meditative state. There was only one thing I should be focusing on. My new target was the Chief and he wouldn’t be so easy to deceive. In the mean time I might have to figure out a new plan in order to get everyone to believe I was as legit as I said I was.

The moment I felt someone standing over me I knew exactly who it was. When I caught her eye finally, her hair long and black today, much like her little sisters,  I knew I was going to be getting another earful.

“What ha…”

“Don’t start with me. Not today. Not after what happened to my uncle.”

She provided me with a strange look not having expected me to be filled with such grief. I stood up and started to walk away before she ran ahead of me stopping me in her tracks.

“I am sorry about what happened. I didn’t mean to upset you.” She now had these big doe eyes. I think it had been the first time she wasn’t angry with me. This was quite a treat.

And that was when my new ploy hit me like an avalanche. The most perfect way to get exactly what I needed. It was Scarlet.

“You have beautiful eyes.” I said to her with a slight half smile which I quickly wiped away as if I were embarrassed. She blushed and looked down as I then scratched my head, “Sorry, I shouldn’t have said that. Excuse me.”

As I walked away from her I allowed the warm feeling of deception to flood through me. I could tell what I had done pleased Master. It was a good feeling to have pleased him. I also knew that Scarlet was following me.

I continued to walk until I had reached my room. I closed my door but left it so that it was just slightly cracked, just enough for her to see me. I sat on the chair next to my bed and covered my face. She knocked three times and I stood up quickly adjusting myself as if to act like things were fine.

“What do you want?” I asked.

She opened the door and walked in, then closing it behind her. Before the door shut completely I could see her sister in the hall watching us. She was just as suspicious as the rest of them.

“I think we got off on the wrong foot.” She said as she tucked her hands into her jean’s pockets. I shrugged and crossed my arms over my chest.

“Did we? I don’t see why anyone would have any reason to trust me, yourself included.”

She blushed again.

“I was running from bad things. When I met you I was just frightened. Your family, they took that fear away and I appreciate it. I want to help you.”

“How are you going to help me?” I asked, “I think everyone has made it clear I am beyond help.”

She pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket. I provided her a confused look for a moment. Now it was as if she knew something she was hiding from everyone. Everyone but me.

“They said that Pandora is outside of her body. I know how to get it back.”

I froze. I could feel my heart beating in my chest. This whole time the answer was right in front of me? I took the paper from her hand and opened it. I discovered quickly it wasn’t paper but a think piece of board with silver lines on the opposing side, almost like the insides of a pass key to a government facility.