Chapter Three - Battle Scars

“Tell me why I am here.” I asked as I stared at the man on the large throne before me. The crimson and black on the chair matched his robes and attire. His hair was long and dark and his skin was pale. The only real color in the room was the bright blue omitting from his eyes.

He was very haunting. Something about him made me uncomfortable but I knew him from somewhere, I know I did.

“You aren’t really in a position to be making demands, Perses. You haven’t even greeted me properly. Now, let’s try this again.” He crossed his long, thin fingers and tapped on his knuckles with his long black fingernails.

I looked around into the giant room I had been placed into. It looked like the inside of a palace grand hall. The suit I wore was expensive and Victorian in style with the ruffles at the neck and solid gold cuff links. My dark hair was slicked back and I felt tired and weak. It was almost like I had been taken back in time.

There was something inside of me that didn’t want to answer. I wanted to just collapse but I didn’t. Instead I focused on his chilling blue eyes that seemed to pierce through me. He didn’t feel… human.

“Who are you?” I asked. He shook his head and laughed. It was a low, humoring laugh. He was toying with me now. I think he knew how tired I really was.

“I am not in the mood for games. Just do as I tell you.”

Two sets of red eyes, one on either side of the man, suddenly appeared. They moved forward into the dim candlelight to expose themselves as these robotic, human-like creatures. They were platinum all over with those lasers concentrated on me directly.

“I don’t know what you want from me.”

“A proper introduction!” He shouted immediately as he raised his fists into the air.

I looked around again. It didn’t make sense what was going on. It wasn’t a dream. I could tell the difference between reality and a dream and this was far too life like. The moment I thought I’d had a grasp on what was going on my body felt as if it was melting into the floor.

“Hey, what is going on?”

But he was not listening. He was laughing as the robots melted back into the walls behind them. My knees, then my hips and shoulders until I was neck deep in the ground.

“Travel well. We shall do this again sometime.”

“Clear!” Another voice shouted. I shut my eyes and felt an electric surge through my body. I was now lying on a hard bed. My eyes popped open and I was now surrounded by medical personal with a bright light beaming down on me.

“He’s awake!” The doctor shouted as he turned to a window behind me. Behind the door were my parents and the doc watching. Mother was arguing with someone to let her in while my father held her back and the doctor tried to calm her.

My skin felt like it was on fire. I thought I was about to go up in flames. One of the nurses was now placing some cooling gel onto my arms which seemed to relieve it slightly but not nearly as much as I would have hoped.

Trying to talk was another challenge. As I tried to form a mucus came up from my throat and lathered the side of my cheek. I watched another nurse wipe it up, the goo a deep green in color. This happened two more times before I was able to yelp out and then once more again before the words could finally form.

“What is going on?” I asked. The doctor was now exiting the room, barking orders to a lower level medical attendant as a needle purged into my arm. The third and final nurse was now inserting my IV as I was being setup for my long-term stay.