Chapter Fifteen - Stars and Stripes

Chapter Fifteen – Stars and Stripes

I sat in the chair of the lab with the world swirling around me. I wasn’t sure where my sister had gone and my mother was speaking to some of the guys about her pregnancy while my father and Dr. Wilcox sat at a computer speaking in a lingo I couldn’t quite understand.

We all had to put a good face on for my mom. If she got worried it would cause problems. She was under the impression everything could be ok. In reality, Pandora living in the same reality as Pandora the baby wasn’t possible. Any way you turned it, my “big” sister was going to die.

My stomach started to hurt as I watched the two men talk. It was such a surreal experience for us. My dad looked the same but he was a little pale and had gotten a few more greys. I did look a lot like him the more I looked at him. He was a smart guy who had made all the right choices in life. He didn’t deserve these problems. He deserved a son who was smart and followed in his steps as a good man. He also deserved a daughter who would not face another century of loneliness.

This also played into the question of what would happen to her baby? Pandora had obviously been taken when she was very small. She had no memory of her parents before her reunion before I was born. Was someone coming to take her and they would be traveling back in time where this cycle would start all over again.

I stood and punched the wall behind me causing a loud echo throughout the warehouse. My father stood up and placed his hand on my shoulder and shook his head. My mother looked over and then away again unwilling to acknowledge the stress in our corner. Scarlet came around as well and caused for me just to turn away and face the emptiness of the walls around us.

“So what is going to happen now?” She asked looking over at the doctor.

Poor Liam had been placed in that spot so many times before. He was facing his own demons and only I could really see how deeply he had pained. I could see that look in my eyes for a long time while I was cursed. It was someone desperate and yet helpless. He was going to lose Pandora… again.

“Well we need to be positive. Things like time travel are all theory because no large scientific group has been able to legitimately study it.” My dad was hopeful but playing naïve all the same.

“You are right, dad.” I backed him up being the son I needed to be, “Mom being pregnant doesn’t change our mission. The fact of the matter is that Jacobs is getting close to his super army. I think we need to get into gear and make a plan.”

The group was ready to object. I intentionally avoided Scarlet’s face as her sad eyes would have caused for a retreat in this distraction. Luckily I had some friends to back me up.

“He’s right.” Pandora turned the corner and crossed her arms over her chest. She was in the black gear of the P. P. A. team with her hair tied up high and emotionless expression on her face. She meant business but it was only to cover up her own fears.

Chief was there also. He was suited up as well with a gun thrown over his shoulder on strap. His skin was particularly dark, eyes bright and silver with that tall and hard presence he always brought.

“We have an underwater shuttle ready to go.”

Casey and Marx came over followed by Connor and my mom. Mom was obviously confused and this was going to hurt the most.

“What is going on?” mom was very worried and not happy about having been left out.

“Yea, no one told me anything about a mission.” Connor commented as he placed a hand onto my mother’s tiny head.

“This mission is only for Perses, Pandora and myself,” Chief continued, “I have found a lead on the first wave of soldiers and we can attack now.”