Chapter Thirteen - Spoils of War

Chapter Thirteen – Spoils of War

The way this was going to go down wasn’t the way I had planned it at all. When I imagined going undercover to a secret base of rebels who wanted to take over the world, I had imagined it would be a little more… James Bond than it was. But no, it wasn’t James Bond. It wasn’t even close. It was more like Fletch or Rush Hour. I had to give it to Pandora and Casey though. They know how to turn heads when they are undercover.

I watched the world change around me as the Independence changed my surroundings. Steel walls of the warehouse melted into green forestry and a grand stone door which resembled a door as an entrance to the mountain it was carved into. I looked back to Pandora and Casey who had transformed into two, lower level workers of the secret base, and provided them with a disapproving look.

“This isn’t going to work.”

Pandora laughed and placed a hand onto my shoulder. She looked over at Casey who also was laughing over my reaction. I had personally found this to be an impossible mission.

“Relax. You have to act as if you belong here.” Casey instructed me as we neared the massive stone door.

Pandora, as if it was routine, placed her hand in the center of the large stone and a scanner popped out to run over her hand. I could see that a light layer of artificial skin was covering her hand to the wrist and this was how we would be getting past all of the security portals. Her eyes were also blue with contacts, another security precaution, and hair was blonde.

I had to say, it was not a good look for her. Considering we resembled one another closely as siblings, Pandora showed me that going blonde would never be an option. When the giant stone door opened we all bowed our heads as other employees who had been waiting in the forest made themselves present and began to herd in.

Taking from my surroundings, I bowed my head and walked as if it was just another day. I imagined myself back in school again, a feeling I had missed shockingly enough. I was surrounded by other kids just there because they had to be and it was nothing special. Just another day.

Pandora and Casey broke off down a stray hallway and I followed close behind as we all had the same destination. On every corner was a large security guard wearing all black, including over their faces. The men were so large I couldn’t help but wonder if they were a few of the successful subjects from the experiments.

We entered into a long hallway which was silver. It branched off into a room full of silver isles and lock boxes. The room had been emptied as they were now undercover as the only three lower level administrative people who worked in the area.

“What do I do now?” I asked without using my mouth. I could tell that Pandora was listening closely to my thoughts. It was shocking how close we had become in such a short time. She was right, our connection was strong.

“I want you to head all the way down to the far end of the room where the computers are. Once you are there place your hand over the identification pad and it will let you right in.”

I looked around confused, no longer able to see my two accomplices. They had already gone off onto their own duties.

“But how will my hand read positively for that information?” I asked.

I could hear her laughing in her head, “Take a look into one of the reflective surfaces, Fabio. You got a makeover!”

Doing as told, I walked over to the silver boxes and checked out my new face. I was now African American with a long mustache and about 20 years older. The sight, at first, shocked me and then I began to giggle at myself profusely.