Chapter 9: The Things You Do With A Pole

(music at the side. it's a short chapter i know.)

"Good morning," Alex's voice startled her awake the following morning,a little too chipper for her liking. During the night, she had retreated to her side of the bed, tossing and turning unable to have a well deserved rest. But now as she awoke, she was cradled in his arms with her cheek against his chest.

She had done everything possible to forget what he had said last night but it was all in vain. He had said that he loved her. "Good morning," She whispered, trying to get away from his hold but he held onto her possessively. "Let me go, we're late for breakfast," She squirmed but soon realized that he was enjoying this game.

"I've been a good boy all night. I do think I need a good morning kiss," He smiled evily at her, reaching behind him, finding a mint on the side table, discarding the wrapper and popping it into his mouth. "To calm your fears of morning breath," The glint in his eyes was back. She would've died of laughter if she was a safe distance away from him but the closeness made her thoughts irrational.

"You've planned everything haven't you," Her statement fell on death ears as his lips covered hers, gently coaxing them apart. The minty taste drove her crazy, her lips tingled from the taste. She gasped as the new feelings that she had been trying to supress came pouring out.She didn't need to touch her face to know that tears were falling down her cheeks as the urgency of the kiss deepened.

"I'm sorry. I need to go shower," She pulled away from him biting her lip as she retreated to the bathroom, turning on the faucet letting the tears fall for a few moments before swatting them away. She was about to undress when the door opened and the bathroom suddenly felt as cramped as a supply closet.

"I heard you crying," She bit her lip harder looking at him as if she was seeing him for the first time in her life. "Don't try to deny it," He cupped her face in his hands holding her close with his free hand when she once again tried to pull away from him. "I'm tired of fighting sweetheart. Please don't fight me," She had never seen him this open, the expression on his fave proved he was being sincere.

"It's not that simple. All I know is how to fight," She wrapped her arms around herself not ready to dig into her skeleton closet just yet. But if he asked her in her current emotional state there was no way that she could lie to him.

He looked down at her for what seemed like eternity before he finally pieced the bits of her traits together. "Why didn't I see it before?" He asked kissing her forehead but his hands balled into fists. "How many times did he put his hands on you?" He asked roughly. He knew, she cursed silently for not being able to deny it Her eyes instantly welled up with hot tears. They was no denying that he knew now, he would only pity her.

"I don't want to talk about it," Her voice broke and she fell apart in his arms sobing loudly. Jace had been a monster; a jealous man who tried to control her life and would beat her around when she didn't do things his way. One night at a charity function, she spoke to one of her friend's husband and when they retreated to their penthouse, he had beaten her unconscious.

Just like every other woman out there who was a victim of domestic abuse, she wanted to change her man. She wanted him to get better so she hid her scars from everyone and smiled even though she was crying inside. It took her months of internalizing everything for someone else to see her pain. Her best friend Julie accidentily saw one of her bruises and had gotten her into therapy. As soon as she found out she was pregnant, Julie had been the one who had helped her leave Jace get settled.

"Can I just get a shower?" She asked once she had finally found her voice. She didn't look at him and she dragged her nightgown down and got into the shower closing it loudly. Numb to her core, she turned on the water, almost screaming that he had figured out one of the lowest points of her life.