Chapter 8

Eden's fingers drummed against the surface of the table while her eyes stared ahead at Natasha's glass. Her teeth speared and released her plump bottom lip, and if they were here under any other circumstance, Natasha would've believed that she was deep in thought. Though she couldn't see, Natasha knew that she was bouncing her leg. The tablecloth fluttered ever so slightly and the table shook a bit as well as her body. Her anxiety rolled off her in large overwhelming waves and Natasha was surprised that she herself didn't become anxious just at the sight of her.

This was not a new sight for her, however. The ride to the little mom and pop diner had been awkward to say the least. When Eden pulled up in front of Natasha's building and she got in the car, her hand brushed against Eden's which was resting on the gearshift, causing the raven haired woman to flush a dark red and shift as far away from Natasha as she could while she was driving. So, it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that she was nervous.

Natasha picked up on all of her nervous cues, storing them away securely in her brain so that she could remember them in the future, not that she imagined making Eden nervous in the future, but it was nice information to have.

After a few minutes of uncomfortable and awkward silence, Natasha cleared her throat, snapping Eden's attention from Natasha's glass. Her fingers stopped drumming, sitting in midair, and she stopped chewing on her lip though it remained between her teeth. Her grey eyes were wide and locked on Natasha's, and the redhead couldn't stop staring at her, engulfed in her beauty. Why hadn't she noticed how breathtaking she was before? The setting sun filtered in through the window and touched her hair, lighting up each strand as if it was a match and her hair was a powdered keg, running wild until it exploded. Her eyes, without paying attention, one would think they were blue, were now clearly grey and she never knew that the color was so beautiful. Has she always been this beautiful?

The redhead's face flushed a deep pink and Eden cracked a small smile as she watched Natasha staring at her. She swallowed and tipped her head down releasing a shaky breath and picked her head up, seeming more confident than she was seconds ago.

"Again, I'm sorry for the kiss. It wasn't the right time and it came out of nowhere. I...I had too much to drink and I think I misread some things. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." Eden frowned in sadness and she too was blushing, though Natasha wasn't sure if it was for the same reason that she was. Natasha's hand stretched out, reaching hesitantly across the table until it rested like a thin sheet over Eden's hand. Eden's breath hitched at the shocking electricity that ran through her...or them, she wasn't sure.

"I-I don't think I m-minded...the kiss."

"You...ran away."

"I think I was just...shocked or surprised? I don't know." Natasha shook her head and cast her eyes down. Eden continued to stare at her, her face full of uncertainty. "That's not an excuse, and I know it hurt you. Regardless of you being drunk, you put yourself out there, and I could've been more considerate of that. I'm sorry for pulling away and running without an explanation, and then ignoring you. You...didn't deserve that."

"Are...are you not a lesbian? Is that why you pulled away? Is that why you ran?" Natasha didn't know how to respond. Eden sounded so...so scared. But she had to tell her the truth. The whole truth. Otherwise, what was the point of being here?

"I'm going to be honest with you; I don't know. I don't know what I am, really." She paused and took a deep breath, Eden's eyes still focused on her. "I'm going to tell you a little story. There was once a little girl that grew up in Russia, living a hard and traumatic life. She was tortured and conditioned into a life of secrets and murder, working for people who wanted to hurt others. They used her, and she complied; what else could she do? What else did she know? Then..." she took another deep breath; it was shakier than the last and Eden could tell that tears pricked her eyes.