Chapter 5

Half a bottle of wine later, and Natasha and Eden were leaning against each other and the back of the sofa laughing drunkenly at some joke that was lost. Eden snorted as she laughed, causing Nat's laugh to turn into a breathless wheeze. After some time and to try to regain some sort of reality and perhaps her balance, Eden rested her hand against Natasha's thigh without realizing it, and Natasha froze. Her eyes fell down to Eden's hand and then moved up to find Eden staring at her with wide eyes full of fear.

Eden's face was much closer than Natasha remembered, and she couldn't help but notice that her grey eyes flickered between her green eyes and her lips. Natasha gulped as Eden slowly moved in, her throat suddenly going dry and her mind screaming. She didn't know what to do and she was too under the influence to think straight, or even pull away...but she wasn't even sure if she wanted to. The few thoughts that she did have and could focus on were too incoherent for her drunk mind to understand.

Was she supposed to lean in and meet her lips? Should she pull away? How far was she supposed to go? Was she overthinking this? For once, Natasha was completely and utterly out of her element. During her training in the Red Room, she was taught how to seduce men for information or as a distraction, and through her time as a deadly spy/assassin, Natasha used her skills and her sexuality against many men. She was used to knowing that no matter how many kisses she gave or people she slept with, it was never real and she never had to worry about feelings: hers or anyone's.

Eden's lips were soft, but a little chapped. Natasha sat frozen, pressed against the sofa, and stared straight ahead, looking past Eden's head and focusing on a weird multicolored statue or maybe it was a vase. Eden deepened the kiss, pressing her lips firm against Natasha's, and flicked her tongue across her bottom lip. Natasha's eyes widened in shock and gasped into the kiss, leaving her mouth open. Eden seized her opportunity and shoved her tongue inside and immediately started to caress Natasha's tongue.

The redhead's heart beat faster and her breath caught in her throat. Nat never felt this way before, and it scared her. Her mind went blank as Eden continued to move her mouth against hers. She moaned into the kiss as her hand came up and caressed Natasha's cheek, and the redhead snapped back to reality and gently pushed her away, focusing on the heat in her face rather than Eden's disappointed and shameful face.

"I'm...I'm so, so sorry. I think I had too much to drink and maybe I misread some signals...please forgive me, Nat." Her face was so red and something about it tugged at Nat's heart, which she would've listened to, but it was drowned out by her screaming thoughts. Eden's eyes pleaded with her to forgive her, maybe even hoping that they could go back to the drunken lightheartedness that preceded only a few moments before.

"It's uh...um...I-I think I should go..." Natasha stood up from Eden's couch, grabbed her bag, and left. She ran down the hall to the elevator, waiting for it to come. Entering the empty elevator, she pulled out her phone and immediately called Clint who picked up on the second ring.

"Hey is everything okay? I hadn't expected to hear from you until later," the voice of the archer said into the phone, bringing Nat back again to reality, snapping her attention from the kiss.

"Uh Clint, I'm gonna need that ride," Natasha's voice wavered as she watched the numbers decrease the closer she got to the ground floor. Shuffling could be heard on the other end, but Natasha paid it no mind.

"Yeah sure, of course. Give me a few minutes to get ready and then I'll be right over."

"Okay. Please hurry, Clint." She hung up after that and paced the floor of the lobby while she waited for Clint.