8:. In Which An 'X' Gets Added To The Equation

"I.. um I didn't, I didn't moan his name." Skylar lied unconvincingly.

Stefan gave her a look of disappointment. "You know you don't have to lie to me, Skylar. I know things have been a little rough for you since he barged his way into our lives. I also know that your emotions are all over the place when you see him interact with Penny."

Skylar sighed, "I know. I just don't want you to think I still have feelings for him or something. Because I don't. You're all I need. I promise, Stefan."

Stefan smiled reassuringly at her, "I know, love. I need you more. I love you so much." He murmured and started leaving butterfly kisses on the arch of her neck.

That topic was closed. And that was that.

The Next Day

It was a busy morning in the Hart household. Skylar was walking the runway for a famous designer friend, Elliot Banks and Penelope was doing everything in her power to make her mother as late as possible.

It had started off small, she refused to take a bath and when Skylar tried to coax her, she promptly burst into tears. After that tantrum, Skylar somehow managed to get her dressed in a white sweater dress only for her to spill OJ on it. She was almost in tears when Stefan walked in.

As soon as he caught sight of his distressed fiancee, he took control of the situation.

"Baby... Baby, go get ready. I'll take care of Penny. I'll get her ready. Don't worry, my love." He picked Penny up and left for her room, leaving Skylar to get ready for the day.

Since the snow had only just graced the sidewalks of New York City and the air outside was nippy, Skylar put on a black sweater and ripped jeans under her coat and finished the outfit with a pair of Chelsea boots. Just then Penny ran into her legs. Stefan had dressed her in a frilly purple dress with tights and marled grey Burberry coat with boots.

Skylar picked her up and placed her on her hip, "Are you done with your tantrum, little diva?"

Penny giggled and bopped her mother's nose. Stefan hugged her from behind and placed a chaste kiss on her cheek. "I think she likes me more."

Skylar responded in the most mature way possible, she stuck out her tongue.

The fashion show had a great turnout, at least that's what Skylar could tell from backstage. She'd left Stefan and Penny at the front row to mingle with the crowd.

Her stylist, Olivia was putting the final touches on her make up. "Sky, did you see Kendra? Apparently, she convinced Elliott to let her walk today because they're cousins. And she's in the other room acting like an entitled diva. What a nightmare."

"I haven't yet. But I'm surprised Elliot agreed. He's always so head-strong about stuff." Skylar had met Kendra only once till date and the bitchy vibes coming from her had put Skylar off any conversation with the woman.

"So apparently she's dating Ethan D'Amico, the business tycoon and he's here to see her. The entire place has been swarmed with paps today." Olivia mentioned conversationally. But Skylar's face went pale at the mention of his name.

"He's here? Jesus Christ, this entire day is a disaster." Skylar groaned, earning a peculiar look from Olivia.

"Do you know him? Did you date him?" Olivia practically screamed.

"No to the second one. Yes to the first." Skylar admitted.

If people saw him with Penny, it wouldn't take long for them to figure out the relationship between the two and once that was out, it would be like living in the eye of a hurricane.

She sighed and shot Stefan a text message letting him know about it before steeling her nerves and putting on a brave face.

"Let's do this." She put on the dress laid out for her. It was a gown with a see-through skirt with rose gold-hued ruffles and small fabric flowers placed strategically to cover the necessities. The top was a silk band that wrapped around her chest and was knotted at the front with a bow, baring a sliver of her midriff. Her hair had been left open styled into a wind-blown effect with baby's breath tucked into the back and a wildflower corsage tied around her wrist.

When her name was announced, she ventured onto the runway keeping her gaze forward and her expression poker-faced. She could hear her over-zealous fiance and daughter cheering for her in the background and she let a small smile slip onto her face.

She didn't notice him until the end of the show when she was doing her final walk on the runway as the showstopper with Elliott. He was sitting right at the end of the runway this time, his eyes focused only on her. He smiled when he saw her looking at him and for a second, she was lost in those dark eyes that looked like they held all the secrets of the Universe.

When the spell broke, she was standing arm in arm with Elliott while everyone was applauding him. The man of the hour turned to her and kissed her cheek before flashing the audience a smile and hurrying them back to the stage wings.

"Thank you so much, Sky. I owe you one for this," Elliot told his friend.

Skylar brushed off his obligatory tone and kissed his cheek. "Any time, Ellie."

Elliott smiled and dropped her off at her dressing room before rushing away to mingle with all of his potential clients.

She opened the door to her room and was greeted by the sight of her handsome fiance with a bouquet of Calla Lillies in his hand and Penny holding a red velvet cupcake.

"I'm so proud of you baby," Stefan whispered as she stepped into his awaiting arms, sandwiched between her daughter and him.

"Pwetty pwetty Mama." Penny tugged at the flowers in her hair.

Skylar muttered an ouch and Penny let her go instantly, her face marred by a sad frown.

"It's okay baby," she soothed and grabbed her from Stefan. Just then the door opened and a woman, Skylar recognized as Kendra walked in.

She didn't so much as look at Skylar and went straight to Stefan and wrapped an arm around his neck.

"Long time no see, lover. I was wondering where'd you had disappeared off to." She said, in what was probably her version of a sultry voice.

Stefan shrugged her off. "I'm here to meet my fiance."

She smirked, "So it's true. I didn't believe it at first. I mean, not after everything we had. I didn't think you'd ever move on from me."

She ran her gaze along the length of Skylar's body, a look of disgust on her face. It worsened when she noticed Penny.

"She's got a fucking kid. Are you playing savior again, darling?" Kendra sneered.

Skylar balled her fists in anger.

Just then someone stepped into the room and Skylar felt the heat go up. He turned to Skylar and smiled at her.

"Congratulations Sky," Ethan said, purposely ignoring the wicked witch of the west. Skylar held her smile in.

Ethan grabbed Penelope from her arms, who instantly nestled in the familiarity of her father. He nodded at Stefan who surprisingly, nodded back. It was probably a bro gesture and would probably forever stay a mystery.

"He isn't playing Savior, Ken. She's mine. So mind your own fucking business for once in your life." Ethan said, his words so calm and cool, Kendra shrank in her place.

"So she's an actual whore then. You sure know how to pick 'em, Stefan." She sneered before strutting out of the room.

Ethan sighed. "Ignore the wicked witch of the west, Skylar. She's always been a raging jealous bitch."

"Dadda, up." Penny eased the tension in the room.

The three adults in the room chucked. "Let's go for dinner, my treat," Ethan said.

But tragedy always strikes when you least expect it.

In a few hours, there'd be a headline on all the tabloids online saying, "A highly reliable source confirmed that Penelope Hart is business magnate, Ethan D'Amico's love child with supermodel Skylar Hart. Is Stefan King playing second fiddle again?"