1.14

Charlotte took a deep breath as they pulled up to her home. The sun was starting to rise and she admired the orange hues that decorated the tops of the trees. She sat in the back with Caius on her right and Aro on her left. Marcus had been on the losing side and was driving the car, his eyes constantly flickering back to look at his mate. She hadn't spoke a word since she asked to be returned home to think. Aro had been longing to glimpse into her mind, but he refused to breech her trust. She had been through a great deal over the past few hours. And he still withheld the knowledge of his gift from her. Now was not the time to reveal that to her. First she had to come to terms with her own gifts and the reality of her position.

Marcus parked behind Charlie's car and nodded to said man who stood on the porch waiting. The four were silent as Death himself. Then she unbuckled and gave a look to Aro, the raven haired King nodding before slipping out of the car. He held the door as his mate removed herself from the vehicle. When she turned to thank him she jumped at the sight of all three behind her.

"You shouldn't sneak up on me." She said softly and gave them a glare, but they saw the glint in her eye.

"We apologise, my dear." Aro spoke and held out his arm for her to take, but she brushed passed him. He scowled at the rejection.

She took a few steps away before stopping and spoke without turning towards them, "You have to return to your home soon, don't you?"

"We do." Caius's fingers twitched at her being away from him, desperate to tug her back.

"How long?" Her voice held little to no emotion, but Charlie flinched at the fire in her eyes only he could see.

"Two days. We have been gone far to long as it is." Unlike hers, Marcus's voice was full of emotion. Longing. Sadness. Loneliness.

"You'll have your answer then." Charlotte sighed and continued on her way, leaving her mates to stand by Esme's car.

Charlie nodded in greeting to them as she passed him and jolted when she felt her stomp harshly into the house. His eyes were wide and he visibly gulped. Aro gave him a sad smile and began to return to his seat in the car. He didn't have to touch Charlotte to know her thoughts on the matter between her and her uncle. There was a thick tension in the air and he knew the man was in for it. Already he knew his mate had a cold temper.

A glimpse of something in the corner of his eye caught his attention. He stopped his brothers and nodded in the direction before Hawthorne appeared at their side. The guard bowed and drove away in Esme's car, leaving the Kings in Charlotte's drive way. They whispered in Italian so quickly that even someone fluent in the language would struggle to keep up. Especially with how Caius kept slipping into Greek, his native tongue, every few words. Three pairs of red eyes glared at something before they each finally nodded in agreement.

"I should have known." Aro gritted his teeth.

Inside the Swan house Charlotte went to pour a glass of wine while Charlie rocked on his heels. The man was tugging at his collar nervously as he waited for her to say something. Charlotte lifted the bottle of red wine to pour, but suddenly placed it back down. Charlie's eyes widened as she opened the cabinet and took a large chug out of a bottle of vodka.

Charlotte coughed as the liquid burned her throat and she turned slowly. She avoided eye contact with Charlie as she walked over and took a seat on the couch. When Charlie didn't follow she glanced up at him.

"Uncle Charlie... I think we need to talk."

Meanwhile, Aro was knocking on the door of Ms. Carlos's home. Once. Twice. Three times. He hissed in irritation and went to break it before Marcus's hand shot out to grab his wrist. The look in his eyes calmed Aro and he side stepped out of Marcus's way. Just as Marcus went to try knocking on his own the door opened and the old woman leaned in the door with an unamused look. She held a lot cigarette in her lips and a cold beer in her hand.

"Aro, Marcus and Caius fucking Volturi. We meet again. Was wondering how long it would take you to pop up in my doorstep." The woman scowled at them as if they were gum on the bottom of her shoe.

"You look as lovely as alw-" Aro started but hissed when a small bolt of lightning whizzed passed his face.

"Cut the bullshit, Aro." Ms. Carlos groaned and wiggled her fingers, daring him to comment again on her appearance.

"There is no need for violence, Bernadette." Marcus sighed and rubbed his forehead.

"Tell that to the blonde dog ready to take a bite out of my ass." She scoffed, eyeing Caius who looked ready to explode.

"I wouldn't sink my teeth into you if you were the last edible thing on this God forsaken planet." Caius growled his eyes burning bright with rage.

"Watch it, blondey."

"How long have you been here?" Aro questioned finally feeling calm enough to speak again.

"This is my territory, you know. Always has been." She rolled her eyes.

"I thought the land here reeked of death and bile. I should have known that stench was you, old hag." Caius snarled.

"Don't bring age into this, Caius. We all know who the oldest here really is." Bernadette snapped and pointed at Marcus who nodded in agreement.

"May we enter? Or will you keep up that enchantment all day?" Aro raised a brow and the old woman huffed in annoyance.

"Damn vampires." She scowled and waved her hand, "Alright, alright. Come on in before Charlotte sees you."

The Kings entered her home and the old woman's eyes scanned over the area before waving her hand again. As she closed the door a force shoved an unseen Volturi guard backwards. The vampire slammed into a tree across the street and he growled. From inside the house he saw the old woman lift her middle finger to him as she shut the blinds. The guard groaned and rolled his shoulder to ease the pain in his skin.

"Damn witch."