1.12

"C-Caius?" Charlotte stuttered in shook, the ice amd snow around her slowly melting as her rage cooled.

Though hers had calmed, Caius's grew hotter and boiled over. The blonde King in full Hunter mode. Ready to strike down his prey and tear him apart. Though he wasn't alone. Caius stood between his mate and the threat, but Marcus had his hands wrapped around the rogue's neck and Aro had his foot planted on the man's chest.

"Hello, Morgan." Aro snarled and pressed harder on the man's chest.

"Aro." He choked out under the strain on his neck, scared if he moved to much that Marcus would end him

"It seems you choose a bad day to hunt, old friend." Aro lowered himself and gripped Morgan's jaw tightly.

"I didn't know she was off limits. Forgive me." Morgan hissed.

"Morgan, Morgan. You knew she wasn't human the moment her eyes turned white. And you know the law." Aro grinned and stood up slowly. 

"She is an abomination!" He snarled at Aro.

"She is my mate!" Aro roared and if he was able to Morgan would have paled more.

"The Queen?" Morgan's red eyes widened.

"You know the law." Aro's eyes hardened and he nodded to Marcus before turning to Caius.

"Brother. Please take Mrs. Cullen and Charlotte home. We will clean up this mess." Aro spoke firmly and tried to keep from looking at the frightened look on his mate's face.

Caius nodded solemnly and turned around. Charlotte was now in Esme's arms, tears slipping from her eyes. Caius's face softened and he kneeled down in front of her.

"Angel, please do not fear me. I could never harm you. Please." Caius pleaded and reached out to her, but she scooted back to avoid his touch, Caius tried hard to hide his hurt but she still saw it and it broke her heart.

"My King?" Esme whispered and looked down so as to embarrass her King by seeing his unshed tears.

Caius's eyes snapped away from Charlotte and to Carlisle's mate, "Speak, Cullen."

Esme looked at Charlotte who clung to her shirt, "Charlotte? Let's go."

Charlotte nodded slowly as she kept herself from looking at Caius's hurt expression. She let Esme help her up and was surprised when the small woman lifted her up like she weighed nothing. Caius opened the door and Esme placed her inside. She opted to sit in the back with herr while Caius spoke in hushed tones to his brothers before taking his place in the driver seat. The ride was deadly silent except for the quiet sniffles of Charlotte. Esme gently held her hands and rubbed her knuckles, glancing up to see Caius look back every few seconds to check on her. As they pulled into the driveway Charlotte looked out the window and shrieked when she saw three large wolves running alongside the car. 

"Shh, it's okay. It's just Paul, Seth and Leah." Esme shushed her and Charlotte froze.

Caius sighed as he parked the car and he looked back in the mirror and Esme nodded.

"There is a second guest cabin on the far side of the property. Edward gave the directions to Aro. Follow the second drive way over there and make a left at the yellow rose bushes." Esme said and kissed the side of Charlotte's head before getting out of the car. 

Once she left Caius pulled away and she watched as the wolves stood where the car parked. The largest of them was bright silver and watched the car intently. Charlotte gulped as she realized why Esme had laughed so hard when she bought the stuffed animal. That silver wolf must have been Paul. She let out a shaky sigh as Caius drove down the guest drive way. She found herself staring at the back of his head while they made their way to the cabin. When they finally reached it Charlotte let out a soft gasp. The cabin was lovely, but then she remembered that there was something much more... important to think about. Caius parked and turned off the car. They sat in silence for a moment before Caius finally spoke. 

"Charlotte... I know this is hard to understand and to accept. But I must ask you to at least hear us out before you make a decision. Please." his voice was strained and almost sounded weak.

Charlotte only nodded and unbuckled before stepping out of the car. Caius followed and they walked up to the door in silence. Caius opened it for her and she sat on the couch in front of the fire place. Caius stood silently in the corner and watched over her. She fiddled with her hands thinking back on the strange cold she had felt and the snow. How had she done that? She had been so focused on the man that she didn't think about what he had said or what she had done. Tears welled up in her eyes as she choked back a sob. 

"Caius?" she asked quietly, "That man... what did he mean? What am I?" 

Caius took an unneeded breath and moved to kneel in front of her. She looked up and gasped as he saw him with bright red eyes.

"Charlotte... there are many things we need to talk about, but I would like to wait for my brothers. They should be here soon." he reached out and smiled softly when she let him thread their fingers together, "Is there anything I can do for you until they arrive? Are you hungry at all?"

Charlotte's eyes widened and she gasped, "Esme's groceries! They are still in the car!"

Caius raised a brow and chuckled, "I will get those and put the the cold items in the fridge here. would you like to help me?" 

Charlotte eyed him nervously, "Do you need the help?"

"Honestly, no. But I would enjoy the moment with you, angel." Caius admitted and stood up, he held out his other hand to her.

As they began pulling in the cold items and placing them in the cabin's fridge Charlotte felt a strange pull in her heart. After Caius placed the last thing in the fridge he glanced to the door and frowned, not happy that their moment had ended and was nervous for the oncoming discussion.

"My brothers are here." he sighed and lead her to the couch as the door opened, revealing Aro and Marcus.