Chapter 17

Talon decided in the moment Salim grasped his hand to mentally applaud whoever came up with the modern day term 'frienemy'. The man that stood before him was exactly that. And as the burly man confirmed, Devyn was the only reason Talon usefulness hadn't expired. Honor among Assassins? Or the Rite? Yeah, right. Talon wouldn't give a damn or care about the war he had been deceived into joining, if it weren't for Devyn. Perhaps he and unreformed Altair had more in common that Talon realized. Now however...maybe reformed Altair was effecting him more than he dared to admit.

Talon accepted the metallic key card and his hands reached back to place the hood of his jacket over his head as he stepped out into the hallway to begin his mission. He didn't know the facility that well, but the place never changed. His photographic memory served him well enough to get him back to the detainment area. As he suspected, with so much tech around they didn't have a physical security personnel watching the door. Talon slipped into the detainment area with the master card and proceeded into the unfamiliar territory.

His footfalls were silent as he crept along the halls of detainment. He passed the detainment rooms that held the mentally unstable zombie like residence persons. He found a sense of relief when he came across other detainment rooms and recognized the uniform of the 'officer' he had shot earlier stretched out on the metal cot rather uncomfortably. He slid the face of the card over the reader and the door slid open. The man from before groaned in pain as he attempted a slow turn over. When he saw Talon he relaxed just a bit. "Thank you brother. I had hoped you were more reasonable than what I had seen in our first meeting."

"You seem to be a decent guy. Once you are out of here, you better make good on that deal you spoke of earlier to her next time you see her." Talon stated, deciding not add his mental musing of, 'Or so help me if I am around and you don't, I will make sure to put a bullet or something else in a more vital place than your knees.'

"Can you walk unaided?" Talon asked, and the man shook his head. Damn. They didn't get him medical attention after all. "I'll be back. I'm going to go find Jackass." Talon stated and exited and the door slid shut. He searched through the remaining room windows and found not only Jackass, but Eva too. Salim had only mentioned brothers but it would be more effective for two persons to help haul out the injured one.

The look of surprise on her face was warranted, but turned to gratitude relatively quick as she silently followed him. He opened the door of the final brother they sought to release. "Hey! The prodigal son is on our side. With all that whining I thought she had you whipped." He spoke as he straightened up from his leaning position against the wall.

Talon grabbed the fellow assassin by his lapel and pulled him forward so they were eye to eye, "Don't try your luck with her or me again on the outside jackass." Talon warned and let him go. "Your fellow 'officer' needs you two to help him out. I'll lead." They collected the other assassin and while Eva and Jackass supported the injured one to make him efficient for walking, Talon led them back through out of Detainment and to the previous meeting place where Salim would handle their exit out of the facility.

The door slid open to the monitor room Salim resided and the three behind him as Talon held up the card. "You want this back?"

. . .

Salim gave a nod of approval as Talon returned with everyone safe and sound. "Easy enough, right?" he said, greeting Talon. Relieved to see their freshly sprung brethren, hints of his jovial smile revealed themselves. He plucked the card from Talon's grip, "You shouldn't need it. If everything goes according to plan, we'll leave a path open for you."

While he jackass helped his friendlier cohort to a seat by the door. Eva pushed at the bridge of her glasses with a ring finger as she made her way toward the set of controls in front of the wall of screens. As she came to Salim it seemed liked they might hug for a moment, but she brushed past him on her way to the controls. Her fingers flew across the buttons as she scanned through a number of different views of various areas within the facility. "Hm," the images were flashing by so quickly that it seemed impossible to make sense of it all, but eventually she added, "You may have to pull a few of your boys from their posts, if we don't want to start a commotion too early."