Chapter 16

It took a while but eventually, Talon's door opened up to reveal Devyn, still wearing her street clothes. Considering the fact that most of the place was in panic mode, not to mention the fact that she had just been shot twice, her chipper demeanor may have come at a surprise. "Well, that got a little crazy." If the halls outside were any indication as to what was going on in the rest of the facility, the commotion had slowed down and things were easing back into a semi-normal rhythm.

Out of necessity, she had called ahead on the way to the facility so that preparations could be made to receive two hostile individuals. So she was expecting a bit of a shit show when they arrived. It didn't help that Abstergo had just experienced a breech onsite. The Assassins were getting desperate. These were bold moves that they were making. Things were coming to a head.

She stepped inside the room with her hands stuffed inside her jacket pockets, but withdrew them to wrap him in an embrace as she approached, resting her head in the crook of his neck briefly, She held on for a moment before releasing him and giving him a quick look over. "You're okay? You're not hurt are you?"

As she looked up into his dark eyes, she could see internal conflict in his eyes. It was understandable. He had wanted to go for a drive, specifically because he needed to get out of this place for a while. Then he was presented with an opportunity to get out of here for good, only to be brought back. It was also quite a way to be introduced to the present day Assassins. Though it could have gone much worse.

"They think one of the technicians was feeding information to the outside. Now they're just trying to find out how they knew we were coming." The landscape of the war between the Brotherhood and the Rite had changed considerably over the last thousand years. Both sides had infiltrated a number of levels of society to push their agendas. She had envisioned them washing their hands of the war completely once their part in it was done, but after this, it was hard not to wonder if the war would be done with them.

. . .

Devyn's idea of a little crazy was certainly skewed. To the point he would have to ask her about some past experiences in Abstergo that was more mild than an internal breech, getting shot twice, and returning with hostages. Just another day in the office for her he reckoned.

He didn't make a sarcastic remark on the notion.

She embraced him and he was hesitant to hug her back with full pressure, given her injury. So a partial hug in return is what she received from him.

He could feel the outline of her lips and nose against the crook of his neck. The sensation brought a grin to his own lips. His smile faded when she pulled away a moment later and gave him a once over. Not the sexy kind of look over either. A look over that was an assessment of his emotional and physical well being. Then she asked if he was hurt and he had to laugh out loud.

"That's comical, coming from the woman who got shot twice a short while ago and is walking around like it didn't happen." He stated in a light hearted manner then added in a more serious tone, "I'm okay. I'm not hurt." Although that was true physically, mentally/emotionally was still undecided.

A knot formed in his stomach when she mentioned a tech feeding info to the assassins outside and another breech somewhere they were investigating, because the assassins had known Devyn and Talon would be out. Eva and Salim.

Abstergo didn't know who it was yet. But Devyn was clever, she would use power of deduction and figure it out soon. The question was would see tell her superiors or keep the info to herself. He needed to talk to Salim in private before he proceeded any further on the matter.

There was another matter he could focus on until then. "Are you okay? I...I haven't decided completely, but I think the most 'hurt' I endured today was when you fell backwards and your arms stopped moving, I just..." He asked of her, inquiring about her physical well being, while he revealed some of his inner thoughts.