Chapter 21

As Altair slowly began to stir again, the Arabic sun was beating down on him as he knelt in the dirt with his hands bound behind him. They were in the castle courtyard.

Behind him and to one side were a host of Templar guards. The fire had only distracted them for so long. Their numbers were replenished. To his other side, knelt Esther. Before them stood a more guards, but their garb was a bit more ornate. Likely elite personal guards to the Grand Master. Among them were a few familiar faces. One was the servant who'd lead them to the cart. The other was Maria. Both of whom were being restrained by the large men who stood around them.

Out in front of them, stood a tall, bearded man with a shaved head. Given the armor that he donned and the similarities it bore to De Sable's, he could only be one man. The Grand Master himself, Armand Bouchard.

Bouchard turned slowly, looking to the two women who were being held behind him. "Put her with them," he ordered, gesturing to Maria. She grimaced and opened her mouth to protest, but she was shoved forward and walked over to the assassins, then forced to kneel beside Esther, who had been too busy staring into the dirt to notice her.

The Grand Master gave a short cackle as he waved his hands over them. "These three represent a feeble attempt by the Brotherhood to strike while they believe us to be vulnerable!" he called out, addressing his men, "The very same who hid in the shadows as they struck down Robert de Sable!" The templars around them jeered.

When Esther spoke his name, it was as if time stood still around them. All she had to do was speak his name and his mind's eye could recall every memory of them. Such thoughts brought a soft smile to his lips. And yet time for only them time almost rushed in a blink of an eye.

A pit in his stomach began to grow as she spoke. His smile at her slowly retreating. With the Apple's help Altair had seen the future she wanted and the future he wanted. Them side by side, building their future together, strengthening the Brotherhood, expanding the Creed. But that had been just one of many possible futures. A future that he now knew had been sacrificed over sentiment.

To die for the Creed if necessary had always been instilled in him. Such was an honorable way to die. Now it seemed to him that to die for love seemed equally honorable. Yet, now she told him, if they couldn't have a future together; that her only other want was for him to live to build a future...without her.

His body trembled in tumult of emotion. He wanted to rebel, yet his mouth lost its ability to speak. Their eyes never wavered from one another, as his trembling hand brushed away her tear as their lips met. All too soon she pulled away and pressed her forehead against his her voice carrying her final plea.

He wasn't ready to let her go. Even as she was pulled from his grasp an struggle erupted. And then darkness took him.

When he awoke he was surrounded by Templar guards. The face of the servant girl and Maria within sight. Esther beside him. Both of them with their hands bound behind their backs and kneeling shoulder to shoulder. When they forced Maria to kneel beside Esther, he forced his eyes to stay looking forward. He didn't need to give her the satisfaction of seeing his face and what message it might have portrayed to her. Disappointment. Hatred. Anger. Whatever he felt towards her, he had bigger problems to deal with.

Grand Master Bouchard began spewing his ignorant lies. Altair still had his peasant robe on. Which meant hidden blades were still on underneath and useable. He would have one chance to flex his wrist and free the binding off his wrists. But fighting everyone in this crowd was going to be impossible to live through. Escaping solo might be possible. He would honor Esther's request to live, but...

He threw his gaze hard onto Grand Master Bouchard. "You are more of a fool than I imagined. We three represent nothing more than how the Rite disposes of those who are loyal to them, but displease the leaders." He looked over to Maria. "And those who share the blood of those within the Rite that are perceived as a threat." He looked at Esther. "One of your very own, Rashīd ad-Dīn Sinān, ordered the kill of Robert de Sable. Such Honor among the Lord's most holy...indeed." Altair said in mocking tone, spitting in emphasis of disgust.