Chapter 14

When Esther passed into unconsciousness, he took that as a sign that she was completely relieved from the Apple of Eden's influence.

His own body felt weary as shadows of visions danced in his peripheral vision. The more he focused on Esther the less he was tempted to focus on them. He did not care to ponder long on the various possibilities of the future. He always believed whatever he desired his future to be he would make it so. While the Apple did not influence him in a way it did to others, keeping contact with the object felt draining since he refused to use it to empower him.

Willing his body to move, he stood keeping the Apple in hand. The sight in the courtyard was a complicated one. The Brotherhood Mentor, Mualim was dead. Esther was unconscious. Altair had fresh blood upon him as well as his own blood from the wounds on his cheek and arm. He also carried the Apple in hand.

Abbas Sofian, along with a few somewhat mobile assassins entered the courtyard and took in sight.

"What happened to us? I remember everything like it was a vivid dream...What have you done, Altair?" Abbas asked the malice in his voice unhidden.

"My Brothers, Al-Mualim was a traitor to us all. He was a Templar, using the Apple of Eden to not only betray his fellow Templars, but control the Brotherhood as well for his own gain. This is the object that took away your agency. It made you turn against your fellow brother and sister against your will. It displays the hearts desire of the one who possesses it. It can take away the free will of anyone the possessor desires of it to so. In my hand it does not tempt me for I do not seek power except for that of my own." Altair carefully handled unconscious Esther and manuevered her to be carried innhis arms, before he walked to approach Abbas and a few others.

"Gather our fallen brothers. Give them proper burials, for they were not of their own mind when they fell. They deserve our honor and respect for they died For The Creed. I will send word to our brothers in Jerusalem and Damascus to return. The Levantine Brotherhood is now cleansed of corruption. A new Order must be established."

Abbas looked at Altair with suspicion, "And I suppose you wish to become our Mentor, our leader of the new Order Altair? I will not support you. Nothing you say or do will ever gain my fidelity to you."

Altair stopped within reach of Abbas and stared down the unsupportive assassin. There was no resentment in Altair's eyes. If anything there was sorrow for them both and how things had turned out between them. While Abbas's eyes shown scorn and weary as he eyed the Apple in Altair's hand that could easily be used on him to force fidelity. "There is bad blood between us brother from that of our fathers' demise, their is no denying or cleansing that. If I become Mentor and lead the Levantine Brotherhood, I will do so; not so that you to swear fidelity to me, but to The Creed."

With that Altair departed from the Brothethood fortress and made his way through the streets of Masyaf towards his dwelling. Citizens were no longer under the control of the Apple. They were scurrying about in attempt to dismiss the lapse of time that felt like a dream, and resume their provincial lives.

Having reached Master Assassin rank came with some benefits. Novices were required to share dormitories at the fortress. Assassins were permitted their own room at the fortress. Master Assassin's having proved their competence and loyalty could live in the city of Masyaf, outside the fortress.

Altair wasn't certain if Esther had her own dwelling yet. They had been almost non stop traveling with their mission since she became a Master Assassin. He imagined a dwelling would have been established for her once they had successfully completed their mission; his mission of penance. But events had turned out very different now. Establishing a dwelling for her was going to be low on the priority list. Given the events of everything and the development that happened between them; he figured allowing her to rest and recooperate at his dwelling was a viable option.

Lineage of Brotherhoodजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें