Chapter 12

Devyn let a staff member remove her epidural as she unhooked her hidden blades and passed them off as she made a few steps toward Talon. "She's right, you did great today."  There was a bit of pride in her eyes as she looked at him, they had come so far in their journey and he had overcome every obstacle along the way.

She didn't know what time it actually was, but her internal clock told her that it was already pretty close to lights out. "I don't know how you're feeling, but if we head over to the cafeteria right now, we can probably still get a hot meal." They had made a lot of progress, before long, hey will have ran through all of Abstergo's targeted memories. With that, Devyn and Talon's working relationship would likely come to an end. They had spoken of continuing to see each other once their task was complete and things certainly seemed to be headed in that direction. But still, the possibility remained that their time together could be short and she didn't want to let it go to waste.

. . .

"We both did well today." Talon corrected Devyn as he was unhooked from the Animus. Once he was free of the device she suggested food which was a desired thought for him. "Food sounds great right now and a stiff drink or two." He added as they departed from the Animus room.

He was glad she didn't press any further on how he was feeling. Shadows of the fallen Templar soldiers hovered in his vision. And Altair's white robes tained crimson still clung to his body. Talon never felt concern with the deaths of the solo targets before. But the mass fight, the adrenaline, the power behind every strike, and the bloodlust was a feeling he couldn't quite shake yet.

They ended the cafeteria and as speculated a hot meal of their choosing awaited them. He ordered with shrimp alfredo, breadsticks, and minestrone soup. While they waited for food to arrive he wasted no time having his first of probably at least two or three stiff drinks to aid in making the shadowed images disappear from his vision.

. . .

The meal she’d ordered was a lean one, chicken piccata with a salad, so she paired it with a beer for some carbs to burn. She took a sip before setting the cold bottle down and looking over to Skye. He was trying to stay composed, but she could see that he was still dealing with some of the remnants of the day’s session.

Talon didn’t need to tell her how he was feeling. She’d grown to feel like she was pretty in tune with what was going on with him emotionally. She moved to his side and slid her hand into his, meshing their fingers together as she gave a soft squeeze. She decided against trying to talk him through what he was going through. Instead, she would just be supportive while he processed his feelings on his own.

She wasn’t sure exactly what he was seeing, but she knew that she’d seen some awful things linger around before. Especially after she had to experience Solomon’s Tomb the first time. She could try to reassure him that it was all in the past, but that had never worked for Salim whenever he’d tried to console her. These memories were an intensely personal experience that one had to navigate through on their own.

Devyn was happy to see their food arrive, not so much because of how hungry she was, but more because it could serve as a distraction for Talon until the phantoms dissipated. She leaned into him and gave a nudge with her shoulder, “We should dig in.” She pointed to his glass, “I have a few more of those with your name on ‘em back at the room.”

. . .

Skye found some comfort in Devyn's presence when she moved to sit next to him. More so when she didn't speak, but rather offered a silent gesture of reassurance with her own hand.

He was glad to see food arrive. Although he didn't feel particularly famished, although he should be, after their long day in the Animus. He knew he needed to at least attempt to eat.