Chapter 9

Devyn woke early. If it hadn't been for the arm that draped over her, she probably would have discounted her recollection of the previous night as a dream. Directly in front of her, off to the side of the bed, the clock that sat on the bedside table indicated that their session in the Animus was a few hours away.

She eased over onto her other side to face Talon, grazed her fingers over his side and brushed her lips against him. "I should go," she spoke in a hushed voice. It was her goal to stir him enough so that he wouldn't be surprised that she'd gone when he eventually woke, but not so much that he couldn't continue to get the sleep he needed to be ready for the coming day.

Devyn eased out of the bed and back into her clothes. She imagined that, given the experience they shared the previous night and the reaction he'd been able to get out of her, he would understand that her early departure was a matter of necessity. Upon giving him one last kiss, she affectionately ran a hand through his hair before she grabbed up her shoes and silently crept out into the hall.

As the door slid shut behind her and she stepped out into the intersection between their rooms, motion caught her attention. She turned to see Salim. He was smiling, but that didn't mean much. Salim always smiled. He waved her on, gesturing for her to come with him. Glancing back toward Skye's door, she hesitated, but did as she was instructed.

"Relax, Ms. Harris," he said after they had gone out of earshot of the door. "We just need to talk." If she was in trouble, he was hiding it well. Usually, she could tell by the sound of his voice whether or not he'd been sent by Dr. Vidic. So far, it seemed like he was here of his own accord.

~

Knuckles rapped against Talon's door some time later. Then again, more persistently, until he answered it and found himself looking down to a short, dark haired girl in a white lab technician's coat. Coffee brown eyes looked up to him through the lenses of her glasses as she greeted him,"Good morning." She awkwardly shoved a hand in his direction for him to shake. "My name is Eva, I work with the Animus," as she pulled her hand away, she glanced down to the watch on her wrist. "Can we talk for a minute?"

Eva continued without giving him a chance to respond, "You need to try and ditch Devyn tonight after your session." Judging by the way she was barreling through the conversation, it seemed like she was determined to hit certain talking points. "Sometime after lights out, leave your room. Go snooping. Anywhere, we'll take care of the rest."

If he was speaking, she didn't seem to be listening. She glanced down at her watch, "I need to go." As she turned away, she looked back to him and stated, almost as an after thought, "Everything is permitted." Then she shuffled off toward the Animus.

. . . .

A soft whisper echoed within the recesses of Skye's mind. It only added to the subconscious dream he was having, that very much resembled the previous nights experience with Devyn. The words were inaudible to him. But his intuition told him she was retreating from his bedroom. Probably not a bad idea, despite the fact he would have liked her to stay longer.

It didn't take a genius to figure out what had become of their late night endeavors. Something told him if she stayed they would consequently be late for their Animus session the 'Suits' would not be happy with her.

He felt his lips respond to the feel of her own. He relaxed under her soothing touch and decided to snoozed some more. Upon truly awaking got up and showered. His stomach was not happy with him but every other aspect of his being felt very satisfied with the choices he had made. He had just finished getting dressed and was confused when he heard a knock on his door. Devyn would have just walked in after the first knock if he didn't respond.